Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mi...@wendys.com on 2006/09/21 19:32:56 UTC

Renaming SVN Projects

We have a single SVN repository with multiple projects.

I would like to deprecate one of the projects by appending "-Deprecated"
to the project name.

Is there an SVN command for renaming a project within a repository, or is
this something that I should do within the server's file system?

Mike McAngus
Associate Chief Engineer, Web and Integration Development
Wendy's International, Inc.

Re: Renaming SVN Projects

Posted by Mi...@wendys.com.
Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

Obviously, I did not make myself clear enough.

When I first tried to rename the project, I got the following response:
$svn mv http://svnServ/svn/WeNetCommon http://svnServ/svn/Proj1-Deprecated
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn': 403 Forbidden (http://svnServ)

That is why I posted my question.

On the file system, our SVN repository is set up as:

/SVN/
    repos/
        Proj1/
            branches
            tags
            trunk
        Proj2/
            branches
            tags
            trunk
        Proj3/
            branches
            tags
            trunk

Access to SVN is via an Apache web server where http://svnServ/svn maps to
/SVN/repos on the SVN Server.

When we create new projects, we create them in the repos directory.  Note:
 This means there is no /SVN/repos/.svn directory.

Perhaps I am stating this incorrectly.  Are we actually creating separate
Repositories under the repos directory?

Should I have actually asked about renaming repositories?

Re: Renaming SVN Projects

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.
On 9/21/2006 3:32 PM, Mike_McAngus@wendys.com wrote:
> We have a single SVN repository with multiple projects.
>
> I would like to deprecate one of the projects by appending "-Deprecated"
> to the project name.
>
> Is there an SVN command for renaming a project within a repository, or is
> this something that I should do within the server's file system?

You want to use svn mv to do this.  Anyone who has the original checked
out will see it deleted the next time they update.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Renaming SVN Projects

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/06, Mike_McAngus@wendys.com <Mi...@wendys.com> wrote:

> We have a single SVN repository with multiple projects.
>
> I would like to deprecate one of the projects by appending "-Deprecated" to
> the project name.
>
> Is there an SVN command for renaming a project within a repository, or is
> this something that I should do within the server's file system?

As you've set them up, a "project" is just a directory, so a simple
svn rename <URL> <newURL> (to do a server-side rename, which won't
require a checkout) should work.

RE: Renaming SVN Projects

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <An...@BellSouth.com>.
svn help move
    aka (mv, rename, ren)

________________________________

	We have a single SVN repository with multiple projects.

	I would like to deprecate one of the projects by appending
"-Deprecated" to the project name.

	Is there an SVN command for renaming a project within a
repository, or is this something that I should do within the server's
file system?

	Mike McAngus
	Associate Chief Engineer, Web and Integration Development
	Wendy's International, Inc.

*****

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. GA621