Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jordan Michaels <jo...@viviotech.net> on 2008/09/09 23:21:48 UTC

Re: Getting OpenBlueDragon and Tomcat to traverse directories

Hi Shawn,

My apologies, but I didn't see this message until just now.

Alan did put out a pretty simple instance of OpenBD on Jetty that makes
it pretty dang simple to use Jetty with OpenBD and VirtualHosts.
However, I realize this is not what the majority of the community was
wanting, so I've been doing my own research and time into this issue.
(Hence my revisit to this thread honestly).

So far, I've been able to come up with a method that is fairly simple
but requires a "normal" CFML developer to do some things that they are
probably not familiar with. The process would go something like this:

1) Set up mod_jk connector to apache.
2) Configure Apache VirtualHosts
3) Update tomcat server.xml file with "host" and "context" entries that
match the Apache VirtualHost entries
4) Install an instance of OpenBD for EACH VirtualHost.

This setup would be great for a Shared hosting environment, but not so
great for a single server administrator managing several different
sites. It also differs from how typical CFers are used to doing it with
CF7 and CF8. However, it does get the job done and (IMO) is simpler then
the "proxy" method when using server control panel software.

So... I've been struggling to set up OpenBD in a similar way to that of
"Jasper", the tomcat JSP processor. However, my knowledge in that area
is still pretty weak, so I've been using any extra time I've had to
learn what I can on how that works.

I've also considered just making Jetty the default engine for the
installer, but I like the popularity of Tomcat in that most server
control panels come with a Tomcat management function. So.. if I can get
it to work with Tomcat... then we're golden.

I'll be keeping the OpenBD mailing list updated if I ever figure
something out that's production worthy. (Even if it does make Jetty the
default engine).

HTH

Warm regards,
Jordan Michaels