Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/09 21:07:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] [Github Issues] Issue and Pull Request labels

Now that we have Github issues enabled for all our repositories,
another new thing we have to talk about are Github Issue and Pull
Request labels.

If you are not aware of Github labels, here is a nice introduction:
https://help.github.com/articles/about-labels/

This also contains a list of the default labels all our repositories
got when issues were enabled:

> bug, duplicate, good first issue, help wanted, invalid, question, wontfix

https://help.github.com/articles/about-labels/#using-default-labels

Issues also have a color, which - when chosen well and used uniform
across repositories - make it easier to scan the issue list.

As we come from JIRA, it's important to understand the differences.
A JIRA ticket has many different fields: Type, Status, Priority,
Resolution, Affects Version/s, Fix Version/s, Component/s, Labels,
Security Level, Environment, Estimate, Flag, External issue URL,
External issue ID, Epic Link, Sprint, Docs Text
On Github none of those exist. Most of this information has to be
supplied via the description of the issue (and can be requested via
the issue or PR template, see previous email), but it can also make
sense to map some of those via Github labels.

With the first few issues that came in on our repositories, I already
created the following two new labels:

- `support` - Used for support questions that don't report a bug and
don't request a new feature but e.g. want to understand how something
works, need help debugging their individual problem etc. (This will
probably be the majority of the issue we are getting.)
- `platform: android` (ios, browser, windows, osx) - For plugin
repositories it makes sense to categorize e.g. a bug report or feature
request for its platform

Other projects have very structured labels:
https://github.com/fastlane/fastlane/labels
https://github.com/ionic-team/ionic-cli/labels

Or pretty extensive lists of stuff:
https://github.com/Microsoft/TypeScript/labels
https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/labels

What do we actually need for the beginning?
Any other input?

Does anyone have an idea how we can "manage" our labels across our ~70
repositories? Are there any scripts out there that can automate the
creation/deletion of them via the Github API?

Best,
Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] [Github Issues] Issue and Pull Request labels

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
This is now a Pull Request:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-contribute/pull/4

(It also contains some initial research on how exactly and with what
tools we might be able to roll out these labels to all repositories)

Please keep all further discussion on labels in this Pull Request. Thank you.

Posted by ra...@gmail.com.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.