Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Watts <mw...@stny.rr.com> on 2003/06/16 16:33:12 UTC

Performance Question

After last weeks help I was able to successfully put my repository on a
remote machine using both Apache and svnserver.

However, I have had the following issues:
* Apache would freeze up during checkout on Windows.  I believe that this is
a known issue seems to be related to memory use issues and I am waiting for
0.24 which I "think" will address at least some of these issues
* Because of the problems with Apache I moved to svn server as was, except
for the obvious lack of security very pleased with it.  Until I ran the
following:

C:\svn diff -r 142:167 svn://svnrepos/trunk/proj1 > mdiff.txt

I was running this prior to a merge to determine what would be included in
the merge.  The operation never completed. I let it run for more than 10
minutes.  During the run repeated checks on the server indicated that
svnserve was using very little if any cpu time and memory (2Megs).  I
finally killed the process (client svn and svnserve) and tried again. Same
result.  As I have to do the merge I moved the repository local to my
computer and did the following

C:\svn diff -r 142:167 file:///c:/svn/repos/trunk/proj1 > mdiff.txt

The result returned in approx 3 seconds with a 25,000 line diff file.

Any ideas?

-Mark

Re: Performance Question

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 11:37:27AM -0500, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "Mark Watts" <mw...@stny.rr.com> writes:
>
> > C:\svn diff -r 142:167 svn://svnrepos/trunk/proj1 > mdiff.txt
> >

> > C:\svn diff -r 142:167 file:///c:/svn/repos/trunk/proj1 > mdiff.txt
> >
> > The result returned in approx 3 seconds with a 25,000 line diff file.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Yes, in 0.23 'svnserve' is known not to function properly on win32.
> I'm surprised you're running it at all.  In 0.23, svnserve was unable
> to properly spawn child processes, and the 'svn diff' operation
> definitely requires that.
>
> AFAIK, this is fixed in 0.24.

This may also have to do with your APR version.  You might try to reproduce
against an svnserve built with HEAD of APR.

--ben

Re: Performance Question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.