Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Howard Fear <hs...@pooh.pageplus.com> on 1996/07/30 00:30:13 UTC

Re: Items for 1.2 (fwd)

Alexei Kosut writes:
> I think this would be a good idea. Assuming that xssi is completely
> compatible with the current ssi, and doesn't make it noticibly slower, I
> see no reason why not, and could be a valuable addition.

The only place where they may be an incompatibility with the standard
SSI is if a tag value used a '$'. This should only have been possible
in a <!--#exec cmd="..." --> directive using /bin/sh -c (or equivilent).
Actually, given apaches ability to pass cgi data on a
<!--#include virtual="..." --> it might have been possible there as
well.  However, I'm not sure that's well documented, particularly
since its a departure from the NCSA docs.

--
Howard Fear      email1: howard_fear@pageplus.com
                 email2: howard_fear@stortek.com

Re: Items for 1.2 (fwd)

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 29 Jul 1996, Howard Fear wrote:

> The only place where they may be an incompatibility with the standard
> SSI is if a tag value used a '$'. This should only have been possible
> in a <!--#exec cmd="..." --> directive using /bin/sh -c (or equivilent).
> Actually, given apaches ability to pass cgi data on a
> <!--#include virtual="..." --> it might have been possible there as
> well.  However, I'm not sure that's well documented, particularly
> since its a departure from the NCSA docs.

Hmm. I've done that a couple of times, but generally to do something like
<!--#exec cmd="something $PATH_INFO" -->. I've never seen $ used in exec
that didn't refer to a non-CGI variable. CGI vars should still work as
expected, they'll just be expanded by xssi rather than the shell, yes?

Still +1. (and, in case it's unclear, I'm +1ing replacing mod_include with
the contents of mod_xinclude, not just adding the file as an option).

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server