Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com> on 2022/03/25 18:05:25 UTC

Why is the JavaFX JavaDoc so bad?

I'm using Maven, JavaFX 17.0.2. I've downloaded the javadocs, I've
downloaded the sources.

But during autocomplete, it seems most of the javadoc doesn't load. Not
all, there's certainly some, but if you go into autocomplete on something
(say a TextField), most of the entries are blank.

Or, something like a simple javafx.geometry.Point2D.

If you try to do a "new Point2D", and autocomplete just gives "double d,
double d1" instead of x, y.

But if you look at the javadoc:
https://openjfx.io/javadoc/18/javafx.graphics/javafx/geometry/Point2D.html#%3Cinit%3E(double,double)

The javadoc has "x, y".

This is systemic through the JavaFX libraries. Are they being built wrong?
I mean, it's JavaDoc. We've had this since 1996...

Just curious why it's so messed up with JavaFX.

Thanks,

Will Hartung

Re: Why is the JavaFX JavaDoc so bad?

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

> On Mar 25, 2022, at 2:05 PM, Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why is the JavaFX JavaDoc so bad?
>
> I'm using Maven, JavaFX 17.0.2. I've downloaded the javadocs, I've downloaded the sources.
>
> But during autocomplete, it seems most of the javadoc doesn't load. Not all, there's certainly some, but if you go into autocomplete on something (say a TextField), most of the entries are blank.
>
> Or, something like a simple javafx.geometry.Point2D.
>
> If you try to do a "new Point2D", and autocomplete just gives "double d, double d1" instead of x, y.
>
> But if you look at the javadoc: https://openjfx.io/javadoc/18/javafx.graphics/javafx/geometry/Point2D.html#%3Cinit%3E(double,double) <https://openjfx.io/javadoc/18/javafx.graphics/javafx/geometry/Point2D.html#%3Cinit%3E(double,double)>
>
> The javadoc has "x, y".
>
> This is systemic through the JavaFX libraries. Are they being built wrong? I mean, it's JavaDoc. We've had this since 1996...
>
> Just curious why it's so messed up with JavaFX.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Will Hartung

I’ve also noticed JavaDoc issues with JavaFX.  I use a build of the JDK from Azul with JavaFX built-in.  I often find the JavaDocs don’t appear, but then sometimes they do, for the same thing.

Weird.

Scott