Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Georg A." <at...@eva.mpg.de> on 2003/05/14 15:57:26 UTC

style problems after rendering

Hello,

I have a little style problem.
After rendering the svg the font looks pretty ugly while in Adobe
Illustrator it looks
good.
Do I have to include anything in order to make style work?
MAC OS X.2.5, JVM 1.4.1 Batik 1.5

thanks a lot

Georg

georg@apitz.de
www.ge-org.com

Unser Leben ist das, wozu es unser Denken macht.

Re: style problems after rendering

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

GA> it is the same on pc with 1.3.1 JDK I suppose there is something
GA> wrong with the export from Illustrator to svg [...]

    I just tried viewing your file on Mac OS X JDK 1.3.1.  It renders
fine.  Going back to your screen shot, I now very strongly suspect
that your code is setting a fairly wide stroke on the text.  This is
clearly not in the source SVG document but if you are adjusting
strokes when people zoom in/out - this could easily be the problem.

GA> if I try to load the svg maps I produced from the Illustrator maps
GA> in squiggle it takes ages to load them, about 15 min for a 1MB
GA> file.

    This is _much_ slower than what I see.  Your sample file (1.4 MB)
loads in ~50sec with squiggle (on my old 500mhz iBook - it's much
faster on my 1Ghz IBM laptop).  It is possible that stroking the text
could significantly slow it down.  I would suggest trying to figure
out where all that time is being spent.

GA> Could you send me the "fixed" svg file you produced?

    Sure, I'll send it to you seperately (as it is a large file).

GA> What editor do you use to manipulate the svg files?

    Emacs - it has a fairly decent mode for handling XML. I basically
use Emacs to edit _everything_.

Re: style problems after rendering

Posted by "Georg A." <at...@eva.mpg.de>.
I tested it with JDK 1.3.1 at Mac OS X and the font was the same ugly
one
so I guess that's not the problem?

Georg

Posted by "Georg A." <ma...@studserv.uni-leipzig.de>.

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

Posted by "Georg A." <at...@eva.mpg.de>.
wrote:
>     What JDK did you get the bad rendering with? (Mac OS X - 1.4.1?).

yes

>     Also you might consider turning off lots of the Illustrator
> 'export' options when you are producing the content for web, this
> should make the file a bit smaller - keeping it on is a good idea
> while editing.

I am still editing :)

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

>> Can you provide a sample SVG (and possibly PNG) and a more detailed
>> description of what is 'pretty ugly'.
GA> on http://www.ge-org.com/batik/ is the svg file a wals.pdf which
GA> is a screenshot from my application and illustrator.pdf which is
GA> taken from illustrator

GA> if you look at the pictures you will see what I mean with "ugly"

    Yes, that is pretty ugly :)

    Unfortunately after tweaking your SVG file a little (making cities
visible and closing some missing tags) I get a very reasonable
rendering (the font seems to be different) - on both Windows and
Solaris.

Posted by "Georg A." <at...@eva.mpg.de>.

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.