Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de> on 2003/09/02 18:36:41 UTC

SNAPSHOT download overwrites more recent local file

Hi guys,

I have the problem that I have created fresh and most-recent new snaphot
jars in my _local_ repository (lets say in project A).

Now I like to test them inside Project B with depends upon this
snapshots jar!

Problem: In online mode, maven downloads the snapshots jars from it's
remove repository and overwrites the fresh most-recent jars which I just
installed into my local repo.

As a workaround, of course I can run in offline mode, but this has other
drawbacks (e.g. if meanwhile project B needs to download a new jar).

Is there any option inside maven to prevent such a behaviour in online
mode?  IMHO maven should replace the snapshot jar only if the remote
version is _really_ younger than the one on my local harddrive!

You help and comments highly appreciated,
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: SNAPSHOT download overwrites more recent local file

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 18:56, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Sounds like a bug to me.
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Filed in JIRA as MAVEN-772.

I am sorry but I was unable to provide a patch - have no idea where to
check the maven sources. If one helps me a little and tells me which
classes do the download, I am looking into the sources myself and try to
provide a patch....

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
I've also had several reports like this on my current project. I haven't
been able yet to tell whether the problem was due to:

- a bad machine date (either local machine or remote repo machine)
- a web server not supporting if-modified-since
- a bug

I have looked at the source code and couldn't find any reason why it
wouldn't work as expected (in HttpUtils, from CVS HEAD):

[...]
        boolean hasTimestamp = false;
        if ( useTimestamp && destinationFile.exists() )
        {
            timestamp = destinationFile.lastModified();
            hasTimestamp = true;
        }
[...]
        if ( useTimestamp && hasTimestamp )
        {
            connection.setIfModifiedSince( timestamp );
        }
[...]
            if ( httpConnection.getResponseCode() ==
HttpURLConnection.HTTP_NOT_MODIFIED )
            {
                return;
            }