Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com> on 2014/05/19 21:19:19 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Release-notes format

I'm not sure if this would require a votes.

I've update the Upgrade instruction from 4.3 to 4.4 and I would like to
propose theses changes as part of 4.4 release note:

1. split upgrade instruction into separate files to facilitate edition

2.  add upgrade instructions in the main left menu  and use of title for
upgrade steps
     see this test :
http://cs44-rn-test.readthedocs.org/upgrade/upgrade-4.3.html

3. http://cs44-rn-test.readthedocs.org/upgrade/upgrade-4.3.html  is the
untested yet upgrade instruction, does anyone have any missing steps ?

4.  I've split Management-server instruction from KVM in ubuntu and rhel
instructions

5. Does HyperV require upgrade particular instruction ?

Pierre-Luc

Re: [DISCUSSION] Release-notes format

Posted by Go Chiba <go...@gmail.com>.
+1

It looks good interface to support several version users.

Go Chiba
E-mail:go.chiba@gmail.com

Posted by Pierre-Luc Dion <pd...@cloudops.com>.
Thanks for replies,

> > Hi Pierre,
> >
> > These changes look great to me. My only concern is how long you think it
> > would take to implement being that we've probably only got a couple weeks
> > until a RC (assuming all of our blockers can be resolved in that
> timeframe).
> >
> > Do you know how long this would take you?

Those "look and feel" changes are easy to done and should be complete
before 4.4 get released.
although I still miss some new Features and new API call.

> > Usually we might do a [PROPOSAL] on such a change (earlier in the
> release),
> > but I'd personally be OK with these changes going in for 4.4 if it's OK
> > with others.
> >
> > Talk to you later!
> > Mike
> >

> I am +1 on the change
>
> More important than a [PROPOSAL] IMHO we need to make sure that all the
> upgrade instructions are good.
> As far as I know there has not been any discussions on upgrade testing to
> 4.4

I've already start validating 4.3 upgrade instructions. I will not be able
to test all upgrade procedures and scenarios, I might be able to test
upgrade procedure from 4.2.1 to 4.4 and 4.3 to 4.4 using centos and
XenServer.

> @pdion891 will you also split the steps for the other upgrade paths ?
> right now it looks like you only split it for 4.3 to 4.4 ?

That's the idea of  spiting steps inside upgrade instruction pages, should
be able to complete this before cs4.4 get released.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Hi Pierre,