Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Michiel Meeuwissen <Mi...@omroep.nl> on 2006/11/21 13:58:41 UTC

findAncestorWithClass in a tag, used in a tag-file

Hello.

I notice that in tomcat 5.5.20, in contradiction to tomcat 5.5.17, the
findAncestorWithClass method of a Tag now also looks outside the tag-file,
if the tag is used in a tag-file. So, if you use a tag implemented by a
tag-file inside some tag, and inside the file of the tag-file you use a tag
which uses 'findAncestorByClass' it can now see the tag in which the tag of
the tag-file was used.

Since this breaks the functionality of tag-library I'm maintaining I was
wondering if this was an intentional change, and whether the current
behaviour or the previous one was correct. It's not clear to me from at
least the javadoc of Tag.

Michiel

--
Michiel Meeuwissen                  mihxil'
Peperbus 107 MediaPark H'sum          []()

Re: findAncestorWithClass in a tag, used in a tag-file

Posted by Michiel Meeuwissen <Mi...@omroep.nl>.
Michiel Meeuwissen wrote:
> Michiel Meeuwissen wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I notice that in tomcat 5.5.20, in contradiction to tomcat 5.5.17, the
> > findAncestorWithClass method of a Tag now also looks outside the tag-file,
> > if the tag is used in a tag-file. So, if you use a tag implemented by a
> > tag-file inside some tag, and inside the file of the tag-file you use a tag
> > which uses 'findAncestorByClass' it can now see the tag in which the tag of
> > the tag-file was used.
> >
> > Since this breaks the functionality of tag-library I'm maintaining I was
> > wondering if this was an intentional change, and whether the current
> > behaviour or the previous one was correct. It's not clear to me from at
> > least the javadoc of Tag.
>
> The difference is also clear from the generated .java code for such a
> tag-file.
>
> 5.5.20:
>    _jspx_th_mm_import_0.setParent(new javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.TagAdapter((javax.servlet.jsp.tagext.SimpleTag) this ));
> 5.5.17:
>   _jspx_th_mm_import_0.setParent(null);
>
> Does anybody know which class does generate this code? I may want to look
> in the history of that, for a clue why it was actually changed.
>
> Anyhow, the current opinion seems to be that the parent of a tag in a
> tag-file is the tag which is implemented by this tag-file. Correct?

Ah,  it is bug 31804. Hmm.

Michiel

Posted by Michiel Meeuwissen <Mi...@omroep.nl>.