Posted to user@livy.apache.org by "Partridge, Lucas (GE Aviation)" <Lu...@ge.com> on 2017/11/02 14:14:40 UTC

POST /batches failing with "Only local python files are supported"

I want to use Livy (0.3) to run a Python file that I've placed in HDFS.  I'm invoking POST /batches from a Java REST client, passing in the path to the HDFS file as the 'file' argument of the POST request's body (https://github.com/apache/incubator-livy/tree/branch-0.3#request-body-2). The value I'm providing for 'file' is "/user/MyUserName/hello.py".

The POST response says the batch is in state 'starting' but when I query it using GET /batches/{batchId} I see this:

Error: Only local python files are supported: hdfs://NNPRDHA/user/MyUserName/hello.py

You can see the value has been altered from what I provided. How do I successfully invoke the Python file please?

(I see someone raised a similar problem at https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/d/msg/livy-user/6AZeqtVwipg/U46tUjqNBwAJ but it's not clear if or how they solved it.)

Thanks, Lucas.