Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jaroslav Tulach <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/04 07:45:25 UTC

Installations vs. users was: NetBeans celebrates 1.7 million active users

> And how we calculate the numbers? We collect Apache log files from all
> download servers, parse them to extract entries when somebody downloaded
> catalog.xml.gz file i.e. Update Center which is by default scheduled to
> happen on a weekly basis and then store the records to database. Every GET
> request sends unique ID identifying single NetBeans installation which we
> then use to distinguish users from each other and if we identify the same
> ID in the DB twice in a month we increment the counter of unique active
> users. :)

One comment that I got on this approach is that this approach is not
counting the number of active users, but number of active installations.
The objection was that usually one user has two or more computers and we
have no way to attribute these usages to a single user.

-jt

PS: I have NetBeans installed on three computers that I use regularly.

Re: Installations vs. users was: NetBeans celebrates 1.7 million active users

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch>.
True, but I would be surprised if that many people have >1 installations that they use regularly. There is some distribution here with, I guess, most of the users having a single installation (the administrator account on their machine).

By the same logic some corporate users will have these pings entirely blocked at firewall level. Other might have sporadic internet access and not be counted at all.

I also have multiple NetBeans installs on multiple machines / accounts but I doubt I ping twice in the same month except for 1 install. It's a sensible metric.

PS: Problem is, will we have any statistics at all under Apache?

--emi