Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2005/08/12 21:57:38 UTC

proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

On behalf of Blue Titan, Infravio, Sonic Software and WSO2 I'd like to
make a proposal to start a new incubator project to build an ESB/broker.
For details see:
	http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SynapseProposal

Any feedback on the proposal before its taken for a vote would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sanjiva.

Re: proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi James,

> This looks a very interesting proposal! It certainly has my full
> support.

Thanks!

> FWIW I'm part of the ServiceMix community (http://servicemix.org/
> Team) who are working on an open source, Apache 2.0 licensed ESB
> based on a JBI container and component suite called ServiceMix
> (http://servicemix.org). The team already contains quite a few Apache
> committers, many of who are from Geronimo and we've already
> integrated ServiceMix into Geronimo to provide full JBI support.

Yep, I knew that :).

> We'd be very interested in helping Synapse achieve full JBI support
> (if it wants it) as we've a full JBI container and suite all ready to
> integrate straight in whenever you're ready; I'm sure the ServiceMix
> team will be more than happy to help create some Synapse JBI
> components letting Synapse components play nice inside any JBI
> container such as ServiceMix or Geronimo.

Excellent .. looking forward to cooperating on this!

> I look forward to some lurking on the Synapse lists :). By all means
> if any Synapse folks are interested in JBI, please feel welcome to
> lurk on the ServiceMix lists too (http://servicemix.org/Mailing+Lists).
> Have the synapse mail lists been created yet?

Not yet - I have to work on the infra stuff next; I'll crank that out
ASAP. I'm sure many of the Synapse committers will join the ServiceMix
lists as well.

I look forward to working with you folks!

Posted by ja...@mac.com.
On 12 Aug 2005, at 20:57, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On behalf of Blue Titan, Infravio, Sonic Software and WSO2 I'd like to
> make a proposal to start a new incubator project to build an ESB/
> broker.
> For details see:
>     http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SynapseProposal
>
> Any feedback on the proposal before its taken for a vote would be
> greatly appreciated.

This looks a very interesting proposal! It certainly has my full
support.

FWIW I'm part of the ServiceMix community (http://servicemix.org/
Team) who are working on an open source, Apache 2.0 licensed ESB
based on a JBI container and component suite called ServiceMix
(http://servicemix.org). The team already contains quite a few Apache
committers, many of who are from Geronimo and we've already
integrated ServiceMix into Geronimo to provide full JBI support.

We'd be very interested in helping Synapse achieve full JBI support
(if it wants it) as we've a full JBI container and suite all ready to
integrate straight in whenever you're ready; I'm sure the ServiceMix
team will be more than happy to help create some Synapse JBI
components letting Synapse components play nice inside any JBI
container such as ServiceMix or Geronimo.

I look forward to some lurking on the Synapse lists :). By all means
if any Synapse folks are interested in JBI, please feel welcome to
lurk on the ServiceMix lists too (http://servicemix.org/Mailing+Lists).
Have the synapse mail lists been created yet?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 20:10 +0200, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> Sanjiva-
>
> your submitted proposal sounds interesting to me. Did you guys setup
> something like a road map? (regarding going *public* with the source)
> Or is the source code allready available via an subversion repository?

Infravio folks are cleaning up the code and will have it ready within a
few days. Sorry about the short delay ..

We don't have a set roadmap yet except for what we put in to the
proposal document. The idea is to take the code that Infravio provides
as input and come up with the best possible design and put it together
ASAP.

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Sanjiva-

your submitted proposal sounds interesting to me. Did you guys setup
something like a road map? (regarding going *public* with the source)
Or is the source code allready available via an subversion repository?

-Matthias

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Noel,

2005/8/16, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com>:

> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>
> > > If the WS PMC has voted to incubate this project, you should be good
> go.
> > Oh! Don't we still need a vote?
>
> If a PMC votes to submit a project for incubation, the Incubator PMC does
> not vote; the project is accepted, and the mentors are added to the
> Incubator PMC.

I didn't know that. Thanks for clarification.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/

Re: proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Aug 15, 2005, at 10:14 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
>

>>> If the WS PMC has voted to incubate this project, you should be
>>> good to
>>>
> go.
>
>> Oh! Don't we still need a vote?
>>

> If a PMC votes to submit a project for incubation, the Incubator
> PMC does
> not vote; the project is accepted, and the mentors are added to the
> Incubator PMC.

The online guide

     (http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html)

uses the term "... will propose to the Incubator PMC ... that your
candidate project be escalated to Podling status" which implies
not a vote per-se, but some more formal acceptance procedure; that
is, the Incubator must formally accept it, even if it's just an
ACK or Accepted... This provides, IMO, the crucial notice to
the Incubator as well.

RE: proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> > If the WS PMC has voted to incubate this project, you should be good to
go.
> Oh! Don't we still need a vote?

If a PMC votes to submit a project for incubation, the Incubator PMC does
not vote; the project is accepted, and the mentors are added to the
Incubator PMC.

	--- Noel

RE: proposal for an ESB/broker project: Synapse

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Noel,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sanjiva,