Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2002/06/24 13:10:32 UTC

[Important]: JDK issues

Hi,

during my testing of the protected sample I found some interesting
aspects of choosing the JDK for compiling/running Cocoon that some
of you might not know:

Question:
If Cocoon compiles with JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4 without any problems, does
this mean that a version compiled with JDK 1.4 also runs with JDK 1.3?

Answer:
No (!) - At first, I was a little bit surprised by this, as Cocoon compiles
with both versions, so Cocoon does not use any method of JDK 1.4 which
is not in JDK 1.3. So it should be compatible!

But exactly the above statement is wrong. Let's have a look at an example:

<CODE>

StringBuffer a = new StringBuffer("a");
StringBuffer b = new StringBuffer("b");

a.append(b);

</CODE>

Now, JDK 1.3 has only a method "append( Object )" whereas JDK 1.4 offers
a new method "append( StringBuffer )".

So, if you compile the above with JDK 1.4 a reference to the method
"append( StringBuffer )" is in the compiled code. And when you run it with
JDK 1.3 you get a NoSuchMethodException.
But of course, the above compiles with JDK 1.3 as well, as the method
"append( Object )" is used then. And this works with JDK 1.3 and JDK 1.4
as well.

That's nice, isn't it?

So, I learn from this that the JDK used for compilation should be the
same used for running Cocoon. If you follow this rule, nothing bad could
happen...

...but what about all the other projects we use (Avalon, FOP, Batik, Xalan,
Xerces - to name only a few)? With which version are they compiled? Do
they use code like the one above?

I would really like to know if Sun has an answer on this one!

Or did I miss something?

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler     Chief Architect     Open Source Group, S&N AG

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Monday 24 June 2002 13:10, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>. . .
> So, I learn from this that the JDK used for compilation should be the
> same used for running Cocoon. If you follow this rule, nothing bad could
> happen...
>. . .

But if you compile with JDK 1.3, aren't you safe that it will run fine on 1.4?

I don't know  if a reference JDK version is defined for final compiling and
testing among committers, but it might be a good idea to select one.

-Bertrand

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:22:33PM +0200, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Christian Haul wrote:
>

> > there's a "-target <release>" switch to javac.
> >
> Yes, and this is set to "1.2" (I hope) and afaiu it affects
> only the byte-code but not the "libraries/packages" used for
> compilation.

Nice work Carsten :)

I guess Excalibur wasn't compiled with -target 1.2..

I just rolled back Excalibur and Avalon to "-D 6/12/02" and "-D 3/14/02"
respectively, fixed a minor compilation error, and with those jars
everything works (barring natural cocoon brokenness :-)). The jars are
at http://www.opensource.socialchange.net.au/tmp/cocoon/ if anyone wants
to play.

--Jeff

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
> >
> > Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> > >Yes, but with the same result.
> > >

> > The "compiler" parameter in Ant choses the compiler, but not the set
> of
> > runtime classes used to compile sources.
> >
> > For this, we should use the "bootclasspath" parameter, which allows
> > cross-compilation for a different target JDK (not only classfile
> format
> > set by "target.vm", but also runtime classes). See more info on this
> at
> >
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.html#crosscomp-
> > options
> >
> > Now the problem is how do we handle this in the build as I think we
> > cannot add a JDK 1.2 rt.jar in Cocoon's CVS ?
>
> It's a non-issue comparing to the real issue:
>
> 1. Compiling with JDK1.4 against JDK1.4's rt.jar gives incompatible with
> 1.3 code (IIRC, StringBuffer.append() issue)
> 2. Compiling with JDK1.4 against JDK1.3's rt.jar gives incompatible with
> 1.4 code (JDBC 3.0 is not in JDK1.3)
>
> Where is the exit from this loop?

Can't we make two different binary releases, one for 1.3 and 1.4 and
write a big "WARNING" note in a very visible place?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>From: Sylvain Wallez [mailto:sylvain.wallez@anyware-tech.com]
>>
>>Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>>Yes, but with the same result.
>>>

>>The "compiler" parameter in Ant choses the compiler, but not the set of runtime classes used to compile sources.
>>
>>For this, we should use the "bootclasspath" parameter, which allows
>>cross-compilation for a different target JDK (not only classfile format set by "target.vm", but also runtime classes). See more info on this at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/windows/javac.html#crosscomp-options
>>
>>Now the problem is how do we handle this in the build as I think we cannot add a JDK 1.2 rt.jar in Cocoon's CVS ?
>>

>It's a non-issue comparing to the real issue:
>
>1. Compiling with JDK1.4 against JDK1.4's rt.jar gives incompatible with 1.3 code (IIRC, StringBuffer.append() issue)
>2. Compiling with JDK1.4 against JDK1.3's rt.jar gives incompatible with 1.4 code (JDBC 3.0 is not in JDK1.3)
>
>Where is the exit from this loop?
>
>Will compilation with JDK1.4 against JDK1.3's rt.jar but with JDBC 3.0 in front of it help?

Damn you're right : I was focused on the StringBuffer.append() problem,
and forgot about JDBC. Can't dynamic proxies help for this ? This was
proposed in
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101904196229220&w=2 but
there was no follow up.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Enke, Michael wrote :
>
> <snip/>
>
>> 1.4 is not a pain, 1.3 was a pain, at least when you have to
>> handle it for different Linux distributions. v1.3 from sun was not
>> running on SuSE,
>> that one from IBM was not running on RedHat. v1.4 runs on both, thats
>> why I switched
>> to JDK1.4 with cocoon2.0.2
>> I would vote for supporting JDK1.4 only.
>
> Please don't do that : how many of your customers are running their big
> app servers with 1.4 ? Not that much, if any. Some of our customers even
> still run JDK 1.2.2.

We have just removed some 1.3-only code to play nice with 1.2.
We'll make two bin versions, as other projects do.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca>.
> 1.4 is not a pain, 1.3 was a pain, at least when you have to
> handle it for different Linux distributions. v1.3 from sun was not running
> on SuSE,
> that one from IBM was not running on RedHat. v1.4 runs on both, thats why
> I switched
> to JDK1.4 with cocoon2.0.2
> I would vote for supporting JDK1.4 only.

As an OS/X user, I would be pretty grumpy if that happened.  Of course
Apple might upgrade to JDK1.4 in the next OS revision, but I'd really
prefer that Cocoon remain compatible until we know for sure.

Jason Foster

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" wrote:

> >> Yes, this is much more complicated than it should be. The best solution
> >> would be to make only source distributions and skip the binary ones :(
> >> Or to make two binary distributions, one for JDK 1.3 and one for JDK
> >> 1.4...
> >

> > I would say, let's make two binary dists and get over with this.
> > It seems that there are many more issues than we are aware of.
> >
> +1 - 1.4 is the JDK of pain.

1.4 is not a pain, 1.3 was a pain, at least when you have to
handle it for different Linux distributions. v1.3 from sun was not running on SuSE,
that one from IBM was not running on RedHat. v1.4 runs on both, thats why I switched
to JDK1.4 with cocoon2.0.2
I would vote for supporting JDK1.4 only.

Michael

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

>>> So we could make a binary distribution for 1.2,1.3 and that would even
>>> run with 1.4 except perhaps when it comes to JDBC. So anyone really
>>> requiring JDBC 3.0 has to build Excalibur and Cocoon himself.
>>
>> Definately against this.
>>
>> Users with 1.4 will not be able to use the binary dist. Bleah :-P
>> Let's do them a favor, you compile it for them and call it dist-14.
>>
> Yes...thats yucky.  1 million emails of  "gee it doesn't work"  would
> ensue.

This is not a problem.
Every Cocoon developer just forwards the mail to Carl, just in case he
hasen't read it ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>> That's the problem I hinted at in my first email. Doing it correctly
>> we would have to build two versions of excalibur (1.2 compatible and
>> 1.4 compatible) ourselfs! And this is something I really don't want
>> to do. This would result in a real nightmare and which version do we
>> keep in
>> our CVS/lib directory? Can we assure that Excalibur is the only
>> component we have to take
>> into account?
>>
>> Now, making our lifes easier I'm in favour of building only a 1.2
>> compatible version (excalibur and all other projects are mostly
>> build with a JDK 1.2 and not JDK 1.4).
>> So we could make a binary distribution for 1.2,1.3 and that would even
>> run with 1.4 except perhaps when it comes to JDBC. So anyone really
>> requiring JDBC 3.0 has to build Excalibur and Cocoon himself.
>

> Definately against this.
>
> Users with 1.4 will not be able to use the binary dist. Bleah :-P
> Let's do them a favor, you compile it for them and call it dist-14.

Yes...thats yucky.  1 million emails of  "gee it doesn't work"  would
ensue.  Secondly, one must move forward not backward.  Perhaps this is
an opportunity, and maybe it points out a weakness in Excalibur that
should be corrected.  (just saying maybe)

-Andy

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Definately against this.
>
> Users with 1.4 will not be able to use the binary dist. Bleah :-P
> Let's do them a favor, you compile it for them and call it dist-14.

Why can't they use the binary dist? 1.4 is compatible to 1.2.

I have no problems with building a dist-14 which contains a version
of the Cocoon sources compiled with JDK 1.4, but I see no real chance
in also compiling other projects like Excalibur especially for JDK 1.4
and put them in the dist-14.

It's hard enough to make the dist itself and I'm not very eager to
make a build of other projects only to make our dist.

Carsten

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >
> >>Ditto. Just make sure that Excalibur is built with appropriate
version
> >>too - it has JDBC code too.
> >>

> > That's the problem I hinted at in my first email. Doing it correctly
> > we would have to build two versions of excalibur (1.2 compatible and
> > 1.4 compatible) ourselfs! And this is something I really don't want
> > to do.
> > This would result in a real nightmare and which version do we keep
in
> > our CVS/lib directory?
> > Can we assure that Excalibur is the only component we have to take
> > into account?
> >
> > Now, making our lifes easier I'm in favour of building only a 1.2
> > compatible version (excalibur and all other projects are mostly
> > build with a JDK 1.2 and not JDK 1.4).
> >
> > So we could make a binary distribution for 1.2,1.3 and that would
even
> > run with 1.4 except perhaps when it comes to JDBC. So anyone really
> > requiring JDBC 3.0 has to build Excalibur and Cocoon himself.
>
> Definately against this.
>
> Users with 1.4 will not be able to use the binary dist.

And source dist also! Mind wrong excalibur version.

> Bleah :-P
> Let's do them a favor, you compile it for them and call it dist-14.

cocoon-2.0.3-se14-src
cocoon-2.0.3-se14-bin

'se' for 'special edition' :)

Vadim

Soap/XSP problems

Posted by deepak venugopal <de...@yahoo.com>.
Hello friends,
> > > My company has started developing soap clients
> > based
> > > on XSP and submitting the request to Apache Soap
> > > Server which has services running in pure Java.
> > > For my Java Soap Clients, the soap service used
> > > return a Node Element ( XML Document). The Java
> > Client
> > > worked perfectly using the usual following code:
> > >
> > > if( !resp.generatedFault() )
> > >          {
> > >          Parameter ret = resp.getReturnValue();
> > >          bookEl = (Element)ret.getValue();

System.out.println(DOM2Writer.nodeToString(bookEl));

xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"><xsp-request:get-parameter
> > > name="symbol"/></symbol>
> > >                 </ns1:*method name*>
> > >               </soap:call>
> > >
> > > ,while working with string return values, the
> > existing
> > > sample code works perfectly, but when xml
objects
> > > being rcvd i get the error no serializer found
for
> > > org.w3c.node***.
> > > (-- i can solve this error for Java Clients--)

i understand that encoding style has to b put, but
when in the concerned logic sheet i put for <soap:enc
> as "...XML_LITERAL,,...." it still takes the ENC
type encoding

> > > Since there are no existing cases in the mail
> > archives
> > > for writing the XSP equivalent of exisiting Java
> > > Clients or any literature on the Net, we are
> > facing
> > > great problems.
> > > If any of you guys have sorted out these kinda
XSP

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Soap/XSP problems

Posted by deepak venugopal <de...@yahoo.com>.
Hello friends,

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > PS While we are at this issue... Can you also compile excalibur with
> > InformixDataSource included? This would close
> > http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8875.
> >
> I really would like to, but unfortunately I don't have the Informix
Driver
> and can't get the download working...

I'm luckier; I've managed to get it. Let me know how I can help you.

Vadim

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]
>
> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >
> > Ditto. Just make sure that Excalibur is built with appropriate
version
> > too - it has JDBC code too.
> >
> That's the problem I hinted at in my first email. Doing it correctly
> we would have to build two versions of excalibur (1.2 compatible and
> 1.4 compatible) ourselfs! And this is something I really don't want
> to do.

Nobody really wants :)

> This would result in a real nightmare and which version do we keep in
> our CVS/lib directory?

JDK 1.2 compatible.

> Can we assure that Excalibur is the only component we have to take
> into account?

ATM, and AFAIK, yes.

> Now, making our lifes easier I'm in favour of building only a 1.2
> compatible version (excalibur and all other projects are mostly
> build with a JDK 1.2 and not JDK 1.4).

I would -1 for following reasons:

  Since release of 1.4, more and more users for one or another reason
  move to the JDK1.4. It is real PITA to build Excalibur for developer,
  and it is double to infinite PITA for the (end) users.

  Since release 2.0.2, JDK1.4 issue is the issue most of the
  users complain about and solution to it alone (like two distributions)
  is good enough reason to make 2.0.3, even if no other changes done.

> So we could make a binary distribution for 1.2,1.3 and that would even
> run with 1.4 except perhaps when it comes to JDBC. So anyone really
> requiring JDBC 3.0 has to build Excalibur and Cocoon himself.

If you go with this approach, do at least write really clear and working
document on how it is possible for the end user to make working (under
JDK1.4) version of Cocoon without using CVS.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

RE: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Re: [Important]: JDK issues

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
On 24.Jun.2002 -- 01:10 PM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Or did I miss something?

there's a "-target <release>" switch to javac.

	Chris.

--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de