Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/21 08:44:19 UTC

What are best practices for hosting content on project website?

(cc: Apache Kafka dev mailing list)

Hi folks

We, at Apache Kafka, are discussing
<https://lists.apache.org/thread/8drsbn0hgdhq4g1qgvm9g8pb5t4x42px> the best
ways to host video content that we consider beneficial to our users.

Currently, the video content is hosted on YouTube and embedded on our
website pages (e.g. here <https://kafka.apache.org/intro> and here
<https://kafka.apache.org/quickstart>).

We would like to understand:

   1. Do we have examples of other ASF projects which are hosting/embedding
   video content on their website?
   (Where do you host the content? What permissions/licence did you require
   from the video owners for usage?)
   2. If your community is adding external links (blogs, videos, podcasts
   etc.) to the project website, how do you decide which content to allow and
   which not?

I have also started a thread on the legal mailing list
<https://lists.apache.org/thread/mtvwog7md956t5q79o41p99v6qqon5qm> to get
some answers for the same.

Regards,
Divij Vaidya

Re: What are best practices for hosting content on project website?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022, at 07:44, Justin Mclean wrote:
> I'd also be concerned that even if you implement user consent, you
> would still be giving user data to the 3rd party vendor if they are
> hosting the videos, which is probably something you shouldn't do on an
> ASF site. Also, the vendor could change that video to something else,
> and while they may not do that, the project's PMC should be in control
> of the content, not a 3rd party. So it would be best for the project to
> host any videos themselves.

As long as the user knows what is going on I am not so much concerned about what you wrote, but I see your point and won't argue against.

Also, I fully agree, self-hosting is better for privacy and control. However, agreement with the creator of the content is necessary and hopefully infra can handle videos.

Kind regards,
Christian

Re: What are best practices for hosting content on project website?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Projects should strive to be vendor-neutral. Putting up branded videos may give the impression that there's a relationship between the project and the company that doesn't exist and IMO it would be best to avoid that. I notice that the same was done in Kafka's release notes which is probably not ideal from a vendor neutrality point of view.

What would you do if another vendor asked to have one of their videos given equal prominence on that page?

I'd also be concerned that even if you implement user consent, you would still be giving user data to the 3rd party vendor if they are hosting the videos, which is probably something you shouldn't do on an ASF site. Also, the vendor could change that video to something else, and while they may not do that, the project's PMC should be in control of the content, not a 3rd party. So it would be best for the project to host any videos themselves.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: What are best practices for hosting content on project website?

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hello Divij,

from a privacy perspective (only):

videos should only load from google, when the user actively gives consent. Embedding it directly would transfer data to google. Usually you can achieve this by creating an image placeholder for that video and notifying the visitor, a click on it would embed a YouTube video.

See: https://privacy.apache.org/faq/committers.html

Doing it this way would not cause any privacy issues. If you have questions, please ask directly, on privacy@ or on Slack.

Other opinions, which I am not so sure with:

Related to your other questions: I think a content creator can prevent embeds, if they want to do so. I would assume content creators would do this, if they don't want their video to be embedded. I would not download any video without permission and host it elsewhere.

Related to 2), I think lazy consensus or commit-than-review may be a good approach. But projects may be able to handle "what to add" differently.

Kind regards,
Christian

--
The Apache Software Foundation