Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Henrik Schröder <sk...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/01 13:01:19 UTC

Huge amount of empty files in data directory.

Hi,

We're running Cassandra 1.0.6 on Windows, and noticed that the amount of
files in the datadirectory just keeps growing. We have about 60GB of data
per node, we do a major compaction about once a week, but after compaction
there's a lot of 0-byte temp files and old files that are kept for some
reason. After 50 days of uptime there was around 50000 files in each
datadirectory, but when we restarted a server it deleted all the
unnecessary files and it shrunk down to about 200 files.

We're running without compression, and with the regular compaction
strategy, not leveldb. I don't remember seeing this behaviour in older
versions of Cassandra, shouldn't it delete temp files while running? Is it
possible to force it to delete temp files while running? Is this fixed in a
later version? Or do we have to periodically restart servers to clean up
the datadirectories?

/Henrik Schröder

Re: Huge amount of empty files in data directory.

Posted by Viktor Jevdokimov <vj...@gmail.com>.
After running Cassandra for 2 years in production on Windows servers,
starting from 0.7 beta2 up to 1.0.7 we have moved to Linux and forgot all
the hell we had on Windows. Having JNA, off-heap row cache and normally
working MMAP on Linux you're getting a lot better performance and stability
comparing to Windows, and less maintenance.

Posted by Henrik Schröder <sk...@gmail.com>.
Great, thanks!

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.