Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ranveer Kumar <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/22 15:15:36 UTC

how to patch solr

Hi All,

I have no idea about "How to run patch?"
I am using windows os and I need to patch
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12407047/SOLR-1139.patch
Currently I download solr 1.4 and using.
Should I need to download source code and compiled. or can patch jar
(compiled) file directly..

please guide from basics..

thanks

Re: how to patch solr

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
You need to apply the patch to the source then compile the source. Applying
the patch can be done in any modern IDE, but it may take some poking. In
Eclipse, bring up the context menu on the project, team>>apply patch.

Or you can use the patch command directly (install svn first), see
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute#Working_With_Patches

Or you can get the Windows Explorer svn plugin and apply the patch through a
context menu in Windows Explorer.

<http://ariejan.net/2007/07/03/how-to-create-and-apply-a-patch-with-subversion/>Then
you have to compile the code and drop the solr war file "in the right
place", you'll replace your current solr.war in your servlet container
hierarchy and restart your servlet. One note, when you build your solr.war
file, it'll have a bunch of extra stuff (e.g. solr-<version number
here>.war). Rename it to solr.war when you copy it.

By the way, the patch is just a record of the source changes. It's even
"human readable" with a bit of practice so go ahead and open it sometime,
that'll take away some of the mystery. If you've ever used any of the
unix-style diff programs it'll be very familiar.

HTH
Erick

Re: how to patch solr

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Ranveer,

there's many ways on Windows as well.
An easy way is provided in IntelliJ IDEA's support for subversion.
There must be a similar one by Eclipse.
And of course, there's the gang of command-line tools provided by
Cygwin.

paul