Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by joshua vogelstein <jo...@jhu.edu> on 2008/01/03 05:22:26 UTC

Apache + webDAV + windows XP = ??

little help please: i'm trying to set up my windows box --- which is
currently already running an apache server 2.0.x (using webDAV) and
subversion 1.4.x for remote version control --- to also act as a file
server.  however, no matter what i try, i seem to be unable to add the
appropriate lines to the httpd.conf file for apache.  i've found the
solution for a linux box all over the place, but they don't seem to work for
windows.  please help...

much obliged,
joshua

Re: Apache + webDAV + windows XP = ??

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jan 3, 2008, at 10:16, joshua vogelstein wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2008 5:52 AM, Erik Huelsmann wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/08, joshua vogelstein wrote:
>>
>> > little help please: i'm trying to set up my windows box ---
>> which is
>> > currently already running an apache server 2.0.x (using webDAV) and
>> > subversion 1.4.x for remote version control --- to also act as a
>> file
>> > server.  however, no matter what i try, i seem to be unable to
>> add the
>> > appropriate lines to the httpd.conf file for apache.  i've found
>> the
>> > solution for a linux box all over the place, but they don't seem
>> to work for
>> > windows.  please help...
>>
>> What *exactly* do you mean? Do you want to use the WebDAV protocol to
>> mount the Subversion repository as a Webdrive under XP? If so, what
>> did you do to achieve it? What errors did you encounter?
>>
>> Normal Windows fileserving (in my definition of terms) uses Windows
>> shared drives and falls outside of the discussion of this list.
>> That's
>> why I'm asking.
>
> erik and others, allow me to specify. i have 2 types of folders:
> those that i want version controlled remotely, and those that i
> want to access and modify remotely, but don't need version
> control.   i'm happy with the way version control works remotely
> for my server.  but i cannot get apache setup such that i may also
> browse the additional folders, and make changes as desired.
> ideally, i'd like to be able to browse to those directories using
> any browser, and modify them by some means *without * installing
> any software (or having admin rights).  essentially, i work
> remotely sometimes from terminals that i don't have control over,
> so i want to be able to access all my data (and make modifications)
> from those computers as well.  those computers are *not* all
> windows, on the contrary, some are linux or mac boxes.
>
> is that clear? what do you think i should do?

To set up WebDAV access to Subversion repositories, see the auto-
versioning section of the book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.webdav.html

If you're talking about setting up WebDAV access to folders on your
server that are NOT version controlled (not served by Subversion),
then your question is off-topic for the Subversion lists, and you
should maybe ask on an Apache list instead.

If you're looking for other kinds of non-versioned file sharing
options (NFS, SMB, AFP, etc.) then you should also ask those
questions elsewhere.

Re: Apache + webDAV + windows XP = ??

Posted by joshua vogelstein <jo...@jhu.edu>.

--