Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Guus Ellenkamp <gu...@activediscovery.net> on 2008/08/21 12:45:38 UTC

What is high load

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but don't know where else to post.

I own a small web development company and am currently involved in a project
that might involve a "big" website, like targeting a considerable amount of
the US population. It might just start small and easily run off shared
server "hosted somewhere", however, it might get "big" from the very start.

My main question is: what is "big" at the moment. Is it 1.000.000  hits a
day with 2.000.000 records in a mySQL database or ist 20.000.000 hits with
100.000.000 records in a mySQL database.

I never hosted anything big before, so just try to get some feel for the
current hosting possibilities of a single server.

Thanks for your replies.

Re: What is high load

Posted by Jeremy Hughes <hu...@apache.org>.
Guus, while I'm not able to help you directly - you might want to try
the Apache HTTPd project. See mailing lists here:
http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html

and the mySQL mailing list. If you have web services specific
performance /scaling questions, do come back here though.

Cheers,
Jeremy