Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Abin Joseph <ab...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/25 13:11:23 UTC

502 errors in Google Clod Platform Load Balancing with Tomcat Servers

Hi Team,

Our application is deployed in google cloud and the back end instances are
tomcat servers. Now our load balancer is returning 502 errors with status
details “backend-timeout” for some requests and it is impacting our
production in a huge way. The instances are healthy when the error occurs
and google cloud configurations seem to be fine. The server version is
apache-tomcat-8.0.30 and the operating system is  Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.

I am not sure whether we need to consider any tomcat specific settings or
parameters for scaling in GCP and to fix this issue. Any help on this is
highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Abin

Re: 502 errors in Google Clod Platform Load Balancing with Tomcat Servers

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/01/2019 13:11, Abin Joseph wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> Our application is deployed in google cloud and the back end instances are
> tomcat servers. Now our load balancer is returning 502 errors with status
> details “backend-timeout” for some requests and it is impacting our
> production in a huge way. The instances are healthy when the error occurs
> and google cloud configurations seem to be fine. The server version is
> apache-tomcat-8.0.30 and the operating system is  Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.

Tomcat 8.0.30 is 3+ years old with known security vulnerabilities and
has been EOL for more than a year.

> I am not sure whether we need to consider any tomcat specific settings or
> parameters for scaling in GCP and to fix this issue. Any help on this is
> highly appreciated.

Providing your current Connector configuration and your load-balancing
configuration would be a good place to start.

Mark

Re: 502 errors in Google Clod Platform Load Balancing with Tomcat Servers

Posted by Dhaval Jaiswal <dh...@via.com>.
When load balancer see Instance in healthy state it would start sending
request to the application. Does your deployed application on the Instance
is ready as well to serve the request? Do you check application is ready
alongwith Instance health.