Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> on 2014/02/11 01:26:28 UTC

RAT setup (it just blocked me from staging 3.2.0)

So the current setup of the RAT plugin let me tag everything and then it blew up while trying to build the binaries for staging. Less than ideal, surprised me, and moderately annoying. It is never a good idea to only execute something during a release. Absolutely guaranteed to only blow while doing a release, this is not when I want to find out something is wrong. What's less impressive is that it failed my build and tells me that there are unapproved licenses and then gives me a report that has no listed unapproved licenses. Is it telling me some files have missing headers? Not sure because most of the files it lists have headers. Here's the output:

https://gist.github.com/jvanzyl/a423b4eb6df033230b46

I'm not really interested in guessing what's wrong. I don't find the report particularly helpful. I also can't see any configuration to disable it, is it baked into the parent?. It would be better to have it execute all the time and fail during the normal course of the workflow then find out during a release.

If anyone knows how the RAT plugin works, or knows what's actually wrong can you please tell me what's wrong. If no one has time, I'll remove it and use the license-maven-plugin which I know works properly and has decent error reporting.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

-- Thoreau

Re: RAT setup (it just blocked me from staging 3.2.0)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io>.
Thanks, I'll try it again.

If the setup can be on by default that would be much more helpful.

On Feb 10, 2014, at 7:38 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> the gist says: "See RAT report in:
> /Users/jvanzyl/js/tesla/maven/target/checkout/maven-core/target/rat.txt"
> And this file says:
>
> Unapproved licenses:
>

>  src/site/xdoc/maven-deps.odg
>
> So I simply exclude *.odg files and add a missing license header in an
> other file: maven-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/SessionModule.java
> which was in the report too.
>

> On 11 February 2014 11:26, Jason van Zyl <ja...@takari.io> wrote:
>> So the current setup of the RAT plugin let me tag everything and then it blew up while trying to build the binaries for staging. Less than ideal, surprised me, and moderately annoying. It is never a good idea to only execute something during a release. Absolutely guaranteed to only blow while doing a release, this is not when I want to find out something is wrong. What's less impressive is that it failed my build and tells me that there are unapproved licenses and then gives me a report that has no listed unapproved licenses. Is it telling me some files have missing headers? Not sure because most of the files it lists have headers. Here's the output:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/jvanzyl/a423b4eb6df033230b46
>>
>> I'm not really interested in guessing what's wrong. I don't find the report particularly helpful. I also can't see any configuration to disable it, is it baked into the parent?. It would be better to have it execute all the time and fail during the normal course of the workflow then find out during a release.
>>
>> If anyone knows how the RAT plugin works, or knows what's actually wrong can you please tell me what's wrong. If no one has time, I'll remove it and use the license-maven-plugin which I know works properly and has decent error reporting.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>> http://twitter.com/takari_io
>>
>> happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will
>> elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come
>> and sit softly on your shoulder ...
>>
>> -- Thoreau

> --
> Olivier Lamy
> Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
http://twitter.com/takari_io

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare

Re: RAT setup (it just blocked me from staging 3.2.0)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: RAT setup (it just blocked me from staging 3.2.0)

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
If you can wait til tomorrow I'll sort it out...

--
Sent from my phone