Posted to dev@training.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2023/03/13 14:45:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Hi all,

So, as it seems to be a problem to even get the simplest things going here, I would like to propose that we retire the Podling.

There doesn’t seem to be a great interest in it (at least an interest that would result in action) so we should free the resources and give them to a podling that could actually use them (I personally only mentor 3 podlings in parallel and Training is needlessly consuming one of these slots)

What do you folks think?

Chris

Re: OKRs for Apache Training - Proposal

Posted by Alexis TADIFO <al...@gmail.com>.
I'm favourable to your vision and the use of OKR to deliver results and
keep focus while doing it. I've some questions and contributions regarding
your latest contribution (*in the eventuality that the community adopts the
OKR methodology*) :

   - O1  ✅
   - O2  ✅
   - O2-KR2 — we can brainstorm the tool to use (Trello, Confluence, Miro,
   ...).
   - O3 & O4 seem to be outputs of O2, maybe we can let the community
   identify and design next objectives (after O1 and O2).

Cheers.

*Alexis C. TADIFO*

📞 (+237) 697 991 590 📞(+1) 418 569 8877

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Cool! Thanks Alex.

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: OKRs for Apache Training - Proposal

Posted by Alexis TADIFO <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: OKRs for Apache Training - Proposal

Posted by Alexis TADIFO <al...@gmail.com>.
There's the file.

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alexis,

Posted by Alexis TADIFO <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello Mirko,

AW: OKRs for Apache Training - Proposal

AW: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi All,

yeah … I agree … for some time I took care of this, but I wasn’t planning on doing everything on my own … so I’m happy to provide the work on the tooling (Updating the tooling, addressing issues with it, helping with setting up things and making sure the build infrastructure works as we want it it).
But I wouldn’t be willing to do the paperwork too.

Chris

Von: Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>
Datum: Freitag, 30. Juni 2023 um 13:12
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>
Betreff: Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?
Christofer Dutz wrote on 6/30/23 6:29 AM:
> Well continuing would mean that we file the incubator reports on time.
> If we do that, I’m fine with continuing. If we don’t, well … guess then it’s time to retire.

Thinking forward to ASF project (i.e. after graduation) expectations,
the board needs to see three PMC members who can be active enough to
make reports and respond to security issues.  So it sounds like you're
fine to continue now, as long as Incubator reports get in.

> Von: Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>
> *The Apache Training project uses automated data analysis to check (some
> of) the criteria mentioned above.*Using the source code repository as a
> starting point we will investigate the documentation corpus and make it
> accessible for
> a chat based interaction => Apply ChatGPT to the repo for contextual search.
> We can generate a report from the repository which will be "reported to" or
> "exposed via" Apache Training project. => We have to define in which form.
> First proposal: generated ADOC files in the github repository would be fine
> for an inventory.

Interesting - so you're saying part of the code Training would produce
is repo analysis of "what documentation/useful human content" does each
ASF project have, and how can we quantify "how useful" some doc is?
That could be useful, even if it's slightly different than the concept
of "providing easy tools to make training courses".

A few comments on this:

- There are no ASF policies on specific documentation, so anything you
suggest would be a best practice, not a requirement for other projects.

- There are several non-ASF projects that are doing interesting work in
the auto-discovery and analytics of codebases, it might be worth seeing
some of their techniques (or maybe their code) in terms of how they
crawl repos and the like:

   https://chaoss.community/
   https://chaoss.github.io/grimoirelab/
   https://bitergia.com/

While they focus on higher level analytics, I bet (eventually, someday)
they'd also be interested in scanners for README quality and formatting
and the like.

Personally, my time is limited thru October, but I hope to have more
volunteer time after that.  I hope the podling stays around, the concept
of making coder-friendly ways to easily re-use training content is
important for the whole ecosystem.

--
- Shane
   Member

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.

Von: Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>
Datum: Freitag, 30. Juni 2023 um 11:37
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>, Eric Tessenow <er...@gmail.com>, thomas.thephasdin@ecolytiq.com <th...@ecolytiq.com>
Hi Lars, (cc: Eric, Thomas)

I have worked on the concept for exploitation of the idea of Apache
Training and a little tool which may allow us to bring it to life.
Also, I motivated a new person to join us. Sorry for not yet being so
communicative.
I will share details as soon as possible.

It is still going slowly - but please give us until the end of the year.
In case we miss the goal of connecting to at least two more Apache projects.

Here is our plan:

Assumption:

*- Any Apache project should follow a minimal standard when we speak about
learning about the project** Readme file in the repo must exists and
provide a minimal set of information. -> We must define what this set looks
like.
* Quickstart Tutorial must exits and work well.
* A profile of preconditions to use that technology should be provided
* An executive summary for using the technology should be provided
* Technical documentation should be available and follow a certain minimal
standard. -> We must define what this set looks like.

*The Apache Training project uses automated data analysis to check (some
of) the criteria mentioned above.*Using the source code repository as a
starting point we will investigate the documentation corpus and make it
accessible for
a chat based interaction => Apply ChatGPT to the repo for contextual search.
We can generate a report from the repository which will be "reported to" or
"exposed via" Apache Training project. => We have to define in which form.
First proposal: generated ADOC files in the github repository would be fine
for an inventory.

I will share an example during the next week via Pull Request.

I also updated the last podling report.
And once we have the next one, I will care about it.

Does this make sense to you?
@Lars and @Christofer: Do you consider the project still to be alive?

@thomas.thephasdin@ecolytiq.com <th...@ecolytiq.com> : Would
you Readme-Editor tool be something you can bring in here or could you help
us building a version of it in the Apache Training project context?

Cheers,
Mirko

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lars, (cc: Eric, Thomas)

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Von: Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>
Datum: Dienstag, 11. April 2023 um 12:59
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

We’ve also had a mentor leave.

Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey,

I have added the report draft to the wiki page.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TRAINING/Podling+Reports

Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Mirko

--

Dr. rer. nat. Mirko Kämpf
Müchelner Str. 23

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mirko,

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christopher,

I am in for the report and another attempt to bring the project forward.

Currently, I am traveling, but on Monday I am back and ready to handle the
report.
Because I am not able to login to ASF system,
I need to refresh/recover my account ... but once this is done, I am ready
to contribute, hopefully not just to the report.

I am aiming on reviewing and refining the project's strategy.

Let's reach the next level by end of the year.
First, we must define how this next level looks like.

Cheers,
Mirko

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> schrieb am Di., 14. März 2023,
19:54:

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

Von: Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 14. März 2023 um 00:58
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>

Posted by Austin Bennett <au...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lars Francke <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

since yesterday I have access to edit the Wiki Page. Thanks to Lars for
your support. The report will be added this Weekend.
I look forward to another spring for this project.
Currently I write a proposal for next steps in Q2 and Q3 to reanimate the
project.
I will share this end of next week.
This is my quick pre-easter-break update.
Please give us some more time for the onboarding of new ideas and new
contributors.

Happy easter!

Cheers,
Mirko

Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> schrieb am Fr., 7. Apr. 2023,
09:32:

Von: Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>
Datum: Mittwoch, 22. März 2023 um 07:59
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>
Betreff: AW: [DISCUSS] Retire Apache Training?

Von: Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 21. März 2023 um 11:31
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Shane,

Von: Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>
Datum: Dienstag, 21. März 2023 um 11:31
An: dev@training.apache.org <de...@training.apache.org>

Posted by Shane Curcuru <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Skraba <ry...@skraba.com>.
Hello!

I think the idea of the Training project is *sound*, and the reusable
slide deck resources are pretty good... but I've had some trouble
getting my own concrete contributions in order.

My (shared) presentation at ApacheCon in New Orleans last year[1] was
done with the Apache Training base deck, but getting it in shape for
contribution to the repo keeps getting pushed down my to do list.
It's kind of a vicious cycle, because it doesn't get any easier as
time goes on.

It seems that we didn't capture the attention of our target audience
of "course instructors of Apache projects".  Mirko, I'd be interested
to hear if you come up with some ideas for reviving some of the
enthusiasm around the project, and probably more motivated to finish
my bit of work!

In the case where the project is retired, I'd love to see a good home
to maintain the reusable slide module (even if its outside the ASF).

All my best, Ryan

[1]: https://slides.skraba.com/dive-into-avro/index_en.html

Posted by Mirko Kämpf <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hey,