Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/05 19:40:17 UTC

Getting sitemap file name & line number when exceptions occur

Greetings, all!

One of the things that makes Cocoon development difficult for me is
that, when exceptions are thrown, I see the file name and line number
of the java source code where the exception occurred, but NOT the file
name and line number of the sitemap that called the component.  For
Cocoon-based applications like Lenya that make extensive use of
multiple large sitemap files this is a major obstacle to solving
problems.  I can turn up the logging level to include statements that
trace through the sitemap file, but most of the time when exceptions
occur I have the log level set to a a less verbose level.

Is there any way to have the sitemap file name & line number output
with the java exception?

I'm using Cocoon 2.1.7 with Lenya 1.2.4 under JDK 1.4.2

Re: Getting sitemap file name & line number when exceptions occur

Posted by Bob Harner <bo...@gmail.com>.
On 1/5/06, Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net> wrote:
> > Greetings, all!
> >
> > One of the things that makes Cocoon development difficult for me is
> > that, when exceptions are thrown, I see the file name and line number
> > of the java source code where the exception occurred, but NOT the file
> > name and line number of the sitemap that called the component.  For
> > Cocoon-based applications like Lenya that make extensive use of
> > multiple large sitemap files this is a major obstacle to solving
> > problems.  I can turn up the logging level to include statements that
> > trace through the sitemap file, but most of the time when exceptions
> > occur I have the log level set to a a less verbose level.
> >
> > Is there any way to have the sitemap file name & line number output
> > with the java exception?
> >
> > I'm using Cocoon 2.1.7 with Lenya 1.2.4 under JDK 1.4.2
>
> One of the major features that was added for Cocoon 2.1.8 was "Cocoon
> Stacktraces", which finally give exactly the kind of information you're
> asking for.  Check out some of the samples such as
> http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/demos/release/samples/errorhandling/exception/generror
> to see this in action.

Thanks!  This is great news.  I'm stuck with Cocoon 2.1.7 for now,
until the next version of Lenya is released (which will work with
Cocoon 2.1.8).  But it's encouraging to know that the future is
brighter.

Re: Getting sitemap file name & line number when exceptions occur

Posted by Jason Johnston <co...@lojjic.net>.