Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/15 23:23:26 UTC

[karaf] Including support for plain wars using pax-web

I think one important use case for karaf is to deploy web
applications.  To better support that, I'd like to add an optional
feature descriptor to karaf to support deploying the full pax-web
container (including jsp support and all) so that people just have to
drop their jar in the deploy folder (or deploy it using the pax url
handler or any other mean).
Thoughts ?

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Re: [karaf] Including support for plain wars using pax-web

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
I think it would be wise to keep one distribution without pax-web, but
i think it also makes sense to have one with pax-web too.
There's still a lot of work to do on the features-maven-plugin which
should allow to easily create custom distributions of karaf by adding
some features to it.  I guess the problem will become where to stop ?
Because we could also include support for JPA and transactions, etc...
So we need to discuss which distributions would make the more sense,
and also enhance this plugin to allow users to very easily create a
custom distribution from a bare distribution + a set of features to
pre-install.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Filippo Diotalevi <fi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
So If you launch a bare karaf, you can do the following:

karaf@root> features:install webconsole

This will install the web console inside karaf with the specific karaf
plugins and all.
What I was proposing is to add something like

karaf@root> features:install pax-web

that would install pax-web, including war-support, jsp support + a war
deployer for fileinstall.

--
Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet