Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> on 2015/09/29 11:07:39 UTC

ASF JIRA: IRC Notifications

The ASFBot supports posting JIRA updates to IRC channel. Currently it
configured to post notifications on all issue changes. But it seems to
generate a lot traffic to IRC channel and may distract from
discussions. See yesterday conversion for example [1]. Please note
that this was not bulk update -- I was cleaning up some old issues,
fixing milestone etc.

I suggest to disable "Issue Update" notifications go to IRC channel.
I.e. post only "Issue Open", "Issue Commented", "Issue Resolved" and
"Issue Closed" notifications. This change wouldn't affect JIRA
notifications for issues@s.a.o. Another option to disable JIRA IRC
notifications completely.

[1] http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/svn-dev?date=2015-09-28#l146

--
Ivan Zhakov

Re: ASF JIRA: IRC Notifications

Posted by Stefan Fuhrmann <st...@wandisco.com>.
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 11:07 AM, Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com> wrote:

> The ASFBot supports posting JIRA updates to IRC channel. Currently it
> configured to post notifications on all issue changes. But it seems to
> generate a lot traffic to IRC channel and may distract from
> discussions. See yesterday conversion for example [1]. Please note
> that this was not bulk update -- I was cleaning up some old issues,
> fixing milestone etc.

Yes, those were a lot of notifications but I don't feel that they
were excessive. After all, you did an issue sweep and this is
something people might want to be aware of.

I guess the important thing is that the "[Update]" tag in the
JIRA notification must be reliably mean "meta data changed".
Then people can quickly glance over those in the IRC.

I suggest to disable "Issue Update" notifications go to IRC channel.
> I.e. post only "Issue Open", "Issue Commented", "Issue Resolved" and
> "Issue Closed" notifications. This change wouldn't affect JIRA
> notifications for issues@s.a.o. Another option to disable JIRA IRC
> notifications completely.

What is the proportion of the "Issue Update" vs. all other
notifications over the lifetime of a JIRA issue? I would
expect that to be < 50%.

I'm not against filtering it but I feel that the current surge
in IRC "spam" is only temporary and might skew our
cost / benefit perception.

-- Stefan^2.