Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Hardy <Ad...@bbc.co.uk> on 2005/03/16 15:18:20 UTC

Documentation guidelines

Hi List,

I just completed a project and have to write a 'support' document, and
looking at other projects here, it seems to be up to the author of the
project as to what gets put in there.

There is a 'tech spec', 'functional spec', a 'test spec' and various
other documents and the result at this point in time is that my project
has duplication of documentation in Word, Maven xdoc, javadoc and
READMEs!

I would be grateful to know if there is a structure, framework, or set
of guiding principles behind the Maven-generated websites. I need
somewhere to find definitions of what there is to document, what the
audiences are and so on. Is there something from W3C for instance?

I typed in "software development documentation methodology" into Google
and got over a million results, which is a lot of chaff to wade through.

Ideally I'd love to be able to produce all my documentation in xdoc and
have a tool to produce output from that with whatever content and in
whatever format - even to the point where I can avoid duplicating my
javadoc overview.

However right now it doesn't seem that there is even a good xdoc-based
editor in existence! What do people on this list use most?

Thanks
Adam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.