Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/02 09:48:41 UTC

Re: Tuscany 2.0 timeframe

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:38 AM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Back in November we voted to start Tuscany 2.x to create an version of
> Tuscany compliant with the new OASIS versions of the SCA specifications (see
> [1]) but we've not really discussed any timeframe for that. OASIS are
> planning to publish the final versions of the specs along with the
> compliance tests around mid 2009, talking to the spec guys they suggest June
> or July is looking realistic.
>
> Wouldn't it be good if Apache Tuscany was one of the first to announce a
> release supporting those new specs, so how about using that date to aim for
> a final Tuscany 2.0 release? If people agree with doing this then we have
> just 4 or 5 months to finish 2.0 so i wonder if we need to be a bit more
> organised.
>
> One thing I thought could help is if we write the 2.0 release notes _now_
> and then we can use that as the high level guide to what we need to get
> done.
>
> Another thing that could help is if we use JIRA more to track most of the
> work items so we have one central place showing all the work remaining. We
> already have the Java-SCA-2.0-M1 and Java-SCA-2.0 categories in the JIRA
> system so how about we now try to create JIRAs for all the bits of work we
> know we need to do, using things like the release notes, or the 2.0 themes
> thread [2], or the various wiki pages already created for 2.0.

I've started a draft 2.0 release notes at:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYxDOCx2x/2.0+Release+Notes

I'll start creating some JIRAs for items on that, feel free to help.

   ...ant

Re: Tuscany 2.0 timeframe

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for being late to comment, but I agree this is a very good way to
go about it. I like the idea of starting with the high level themes and
features, and creating Jira from that, and driving and tracking work via
the Jiras. I've added a few minor edits to the wiki release notes, and
I'll help out on this effort.

--
Thanks, Dan Becker