Posted to user@syncope.apache.org by Edward Siewick <es...@digipro.com> on 2013/03/06 15:53:55 UTC

ChangeLogColumn & DbTable synchronization

Hi,

On the ChangeLogColumn, this apparently has to be added to the
particular table to which the connector binds. And, the 'syncope' user
will need write access to the table. (I'm guessing, so let me know if
I'm way off the path on these.)

If so, is a particular data type required or preferred? Based on the [1]
detail:  "Name of the column where the last update-related,
non-decreasing, value is stored. This value can be a number or a
timestamp value", Syncope just needs to stash a monotonically increasing
value for each row. Possibly any of INTEGER, NUMERIC or TIMESTAMP
generic SQL types should work. Is there any reason to pick one over the
others?

Also, do any of the synchronizations use resource-specific logging
features such as are used for replication? Most SQL servers, AD, OpenDJ
and probably others have these. (They can be devilishly
version-specific, which makes for operational trouble.)

[1] https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/Database+Table

Thanks,

Edward

Re: ChangeLogColumn & DbTable synchronization

Posted by Edward Siewick <es...@digipro.com>.
On 03/06/2013 11:32 AM, Fabio Martelli wrote:
> Hi Edward, please find my comments inline.
>
> Il giorno 06/mar/2013, alle ore 15.53, Edward Siewick ha scritto:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On the ChangeLogColumn, this apparently has to be added to the
>> particular table to which the connector binds. And, the 'syncope'
>> user will need write access to the table. (I'm guessing, so let me
>> know if I'm way off the path on these.)
>
> No, credential of the user with write permission is specified by into
> the connector configuration. See 'User' and 'Password' configuration
> parameters.
>
>> If so, is a particular data type required or preferred? Based on the
>> [1] detail:  "Name of the column where the last update-related,
>> non-decreasing, value is stored. This value can be a number or a
>> timestamp value", Syncope just needs to stash a monotonically
>> increasing value for each row. Possibly any of INTEGER, NUMERIC or
>> TIMESTAMP generic SQL types should work. Is there any reason to pick
>> one over the others?
>
> No there isn't.
>
>> Also, do any of the synchronizations use resource-specific logging
>> features such as are used for replication? Most SQL servers, AD,
>> OpenDJ and probably others have these. (They can be devilishly
>> version-specific, which makes for operational trouble.)
>
> Database table connector is a generic JDBC connector so we cannot use
> specific logging features for synchronization.
> Of course, in case, we can extend this connector in order to implement
> more specific features.
>
> As you mentioned AD,  I have to point out that AD can be synchronized
> by a specific JNDI connector based on DirSync protocol
> (https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=360482).
>
> Best regards,
> F.
>
>> [1] https://connid.atlassian.net/wiki/display/BASE/Database+Table
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Edward

Thanks, Fabio.

And, yes, the AD connector is on my list of things to try.

Posted by Fabio Martelli <fa...@gmail.com>.