Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2010/04/28 15:30:35 UTC

wss4j performance results.....

I'm not sure how many of you have seen this yet, but I wanted to point
this out to you:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/j-jws14/index.html?ca=drs-

Basically, as part of Metro 2.0, Sun completely redid the XWSS library
to support better streaming while processing.   All that work pretty much
just brought it up to about the same level as WSS4J.     I just want
to say nice job to all the folks involved with WSS4J.  It's standing the
test of time.   :-)

I'm not exactly sure why they can sign things faster, but WSS4J is faster
for a sign/encrypt scenario.   Something to look into.   :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: wss4j performance results.....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 11:24:25 am Colm O hEigeartaigh wrote:
> 1.5.9 may be faster than 1.5.8 for signature processing due to these two
> fixes:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-214
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-215

Oh.   Cool.   Can we get 1.5.9 out soon?   :-)

> If I find the time I might consider going through the work I did on trunk
> on improving the signature and encryption processors to see if it's worth
> backporting some of it, e.g.:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-171
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WSS-192

At this point, I think it's more worth it to figure out what else needs to be
done on trunk and just get 1.6 released.   I'd like to move CXF 2.3 to 1.6 if
possible.   I'd also be quite OK with pushing the SAML2 stuff into just 1.6
and getting it out.     Thoughts?

Dan

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
When I looked at the WSS4J code a while back I did notice some places
where text strings representations of the message were being generated
for debug logging, even when debug was disabled. I don't think it'd make
a big difference in performance, but wrapping these in debug enabled
checks is easy and couldn't hurt.

On the user side, if the application is using WSS4J with the standard
Xerces-based DOM from Sun it'll probably help performance to turn off
the defer-node-expansion feature
("http://apache.org/xml/features/dom/defer-node-expansion"). Deferring
node expansion gives a small performance gain when building the DOM
initially, but you more than lose any benefit if the DOM is actually
used (since the nodes are then expanded as they're accessed).

- Dennis