Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/26 08:12:07 UTC

Hi All,

In this earlier thread I put forward proposal for a timeline for releases,
to encorporate NetCat testing and voting.

Day 0: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release, - Code Branched into
specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 0: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 0-6: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat process
to see what new features they need to update their test specs with) +
Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 7: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 14-21: Testing Starts
Day 44-51: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 51: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 55: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 59: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 64: Release

Before I create a wiki page for this, lets discuss.  Is 2 months alittle
long to push out a release?

Secondly, what is our release cadence?  Are we planning every 6 months,
maybe attempt to keep some alignment with the JDK release cycle, or
something longer term, like 12 months?

Lets discuss what every one thinks is the right way to go?

Regards

John

Posted by Chuck Davis <cj...@gmail.com>.
One of the really nice features of NB has been the fact that you can run
dozens of versions installed in parallel (I usually only have not more than
four).

I grew accustomed to living on the nightly builds and, fortunately, if one
doesn't work you run "uninstall" and wait a couple of days and try
again...assuming you are interested in the new feature usually announced by
Gj in one of his blog entries.  Seems like a few days before a new
"version" release the nightly builds were not available while the release
version was pulled together.  I found this procedure to be very handy.

Seems like this process could still be done with Git/Apache....why not?  I
think it's unique and I'm not aware any of the competitors who provide that
service (maybe Eclipse does -- not sure).  As I write Jenkins is building
#473 and I'm running on #470.  Maybe we just need to make the Jenkins
builds more obvious for those of us who like to bleed and keep the
"versions" on a cadence that is convenient for developers.  What is best
for developers?

My $.02.

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 6:02 PM Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 13:34, John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Might every 3 months be pushing it a little?
> >
> > We'll constantly be in a state of picking fixes for release -> testing ->
> > fixing -> release -> picking fixes for release, etc..
> >
> >  Something like 6 months is a little more relaxed as it gives us about 4
> > months between releases to make changes, introduce new features to the
> IDE,
> > without rushing.
>
> Funnily enough, my view is that 3 months would be more relaxed,
> because there's less stress to rush a new feature if it's not ready
> when there's a new release cycle imminent.  Likewise, this was
> suggested on the basis of master being kept relatively stable, with
> new features mainly being developed in branches until they're ready
> for wider testing.  With cherry-picking of changes from master into
> the release branch (like is happening now), I don't see why all these
> things cannot happen in parallel.  A bit more Release Early, Release
> Often, with some NetCAT still in the mix! ;-)
>
> I think I'm up to 4c.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architect
* Java Champion
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* JUG Leader JUG Bodensee: http://www.jug-bodensee.de
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Cool, seems the general consensus is 3 months, and so lets look at what the
plan for those 3 months could be:

I've updated my suggestion to show how I think a 3 month cycle would work:

Day 0-90: Development Continues and takes place in branches - as normal
Day 30: dev mailing list agrees to initiate a release. PR's not merged into
master at this time are identified and merged/reviewed as needed &  Code
Branched into specific release Branch & Jenkins updated
Day 30: NetCat Announced + Week of signups
Day 30-36: New and Noteworthy page created/updated (Useful for NetCat
process to see what new features they need to update their test specs
with) + Branding changes in the branch, etc...
Day 37: Test Spec Review Starts
Day 44-51: Last of the PR's are merged into the release branch(and master)
Day 44-51: Release Candiate 1 is Built & NetCat Testing Phase Starts
Day 74-81: Testing Ends (roughly 30 days of testing?)
Day 81: 72 Hour NetCat Community Acceptance Vote (use to be a survey, but I
assume now it needs an email vote)
Day 85: 72 Hour PPMC Vote
Day 89: 72 Hour IPMC Vote
Day 94: Release

I might be wrong here, but when we come out of incubation, we dont need the
IPMC vote so we could be releasing on day 89, then...

Regards

John

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.
Might every 3 months be pushing it a little?

We'll constantly be in a state of picking fixes for release -> testing ->
fixing -> release -> picking fixes for release, etc..

 Something like 6 months is a little more relaxed as it gives us about 4
months between releases to make changes, introduce new features to the IDE,
without rushing.

John

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@protonmail.ch.INVALID>.
Every 3 months sounds good.