Posted to user@madlib.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/10/03 23:31:33 UTC

Draft MADlib podling report for Oct 2016

Here is the draft report for Oct 2016, covering Q3 activity.

It is posted at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/October2016

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions before
submission deadline on Wed Oct 5 and I will update the report.

Thanks,
Frank

-------------------------------

MADlib

Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists.

MADlib has been incubating since 2015-09-15.

  1. Need guidance from Incubator PMC on how to resolve the BSD licensing
switch over to Apache License.  What should be the content of the license
headers for files that were previously BSD licensed and then granted to
ASF?  Related legal-discuss threads:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201609.mbox/%3CCALGG8z03zHhbFegXoi4fH+vXtF+9m7x6hak9RjKQjapuzi67gQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201603.mbox/%3C9D1AF43C-370B-4E58-B0EF-2E29D242F50B%40jaguNET.com%3E
  2. Continue to produce regular Apache (incubating) releases.
  3. Continue to execute and manage the project according to governance
model required by the "Apache Way”.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 Yes-please see #1 above and provide guidance.

  1. Two new committers added to the project:
* Orhan Kislal (9/7/16)
* Nandish Jayaram (9/7/16)
  2. MADlib related events in Q3 2016:
* Jul 27 - MADLib community call.  Topic:  Open discussion on Apache MADlib
project (hosted by Greg Chase, Frank McQuillan)
* Aug 19 - Presentation to Hortonworks.  Topic:  Apache MADlib, Apache HAWQ
(incubating) and Apache Zeppelin (Rahul Iyer, Frank McQuillan)
* Sep 13 - MADLib community call.  Topic:  Deep dive on MADlib 1.9.1
release (hosted by Greg Chase, presentation by Frank McQuillan)
* Sep 21 - Meetup at Hortonworks San Francisco.  Topic:  Future of data -
Apache MADlib and Apache HAWQ (Tushar Pednekar)
* Sep 22 - Meetup at Hortonworks Santa Clara.  Topic:  Future of data -
Apache MADlib and Apache HAWQ (Tushar Pednekar)
  3. Material technical conversations on dev mailing lists and in the
appropriate JIRAs and pull requests.

  1. 3rd ASF release MADlib v1.9.1 released on Sep 19, 2016.  Features
include:  path functions (phase 2), 1-class support vector machines for
novelty detection, prediction metrics, sessionization, pivoting.
  2. Community has started active development on the v1.10 release.
  3. 13 JIRAs created and 5 resolved in last 30 days.

Date of last release:

  MADlib v1.9.1 on 9/19/16.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected:

  Orhan Kislal on 9/7/16 and Nandish Jayaram on 9/7/16.

Re: Draft MADlib podling report for Oct 2016

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Looks very nice! Thanks for writing it up, Frank.

Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.