Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Sarang Vadali via user <us...@flink.apache.org> on 2022/08/18 16:37:19 UTC

Flink Histogram not emitting sum while using Metrics Reporter

Hi,

I am currently registering a Flink Histogram and using the Prometheus
Metrics Reporter to send this metric to our Time Series Data Storage. When
Prometheus grabs this metric and converts it to the "summary" type, there
is no sum found (only the streaming quantiles and count). This is causing
an issue when our metrics agent is attempting to capture the Flink
Histogram/Prometheus Summary.

I was wondering if in a newer version (than 1.13.6) the histogram sum is
computed by Flink and what that version would be? If not, is there any work
around so that a Flink histogram can emit all 3 elements (quantiles, sum,
and count) in Prometheus format?

SARANG VADALI
AMTS | Salesforce
Office: 925-216-1829
Mobile: 925-216-1829

<https://smart.salesforce.com/sig/sarangvadali//us_mb/default/link.html>

Re: Flink Histogram not emitting sum while using Metrics Reporter

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
We currently do not compute sums for Histograms, and hence this isn't
exported to Prometheus.
You'd need to use custom histogram (that actually computes sums) and a
custom prometheus reporter (that extracts said sum if present) to
implement this yourself.