Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by SuarezMiguelC <Su...@protonmail.com.INVALID> on 2021/04/12 14:23:17 UTC

Which book to read?

Hello Apache Kafka Community!... A quick question:

I am using right now kafka a LOT (with kafka connect, streams with nodejs...) in my arquitecture and, my knowledge has increased because of this, however, I'm looking for more experience, so, I downloaded the Kakfa book, my question is: Since there are 2 volumes, is the second just a better update?, or should I read the first one too?.

Thanks in advance,
Miguel Suárez

Re: Which book to read?

Posted by Todd Palino <tp...@gmail.com>.
The second edition is not complete yet. The chapters that have been
released as part of the early release are updated, and you can use those
instead of the chapters in the first edition.

So use both for now :)

-Todd

--
*Todd Palino*
Senior Staff Engineer, Site Reliability

linkedin.com/in/toddpalino

Re: Which book to read?

Posted by Liam Clarke-Hutchinson <li...@adscale.co.nz>.
The first is definitely worth a read, even the chapters that are perhaps
somewhat out of date (e.g., cluster replication focused on Mirror Maker v1)
are still useful in how they describe the various ways to run multiple
clusters - hot/hot, hot/warm, stretch etc.

Also, the chapter on monitoring and which metrics offer the most value is
great for anyone looking to set up some decent monitoring off the back of
Prometheus' jmx_exporter or Datadog's similar JMX functionality and Grafana
etc.

I also really recommend I <3 Logs by Jay Kreps, it's short, high level, I
think I finished it on one bus ride, but gives a great description of the
log-based architecture LinkedIn built around Kafka, and was instrumental in
convincing me, and my bosses(!) that Kafka would be an ideal backbone for
our data streams in my previous company.

Cheers,

Liam Clarke-Hutchinson

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 2:23 AM SuarezMiguelC