Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Antony Stace <s4...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/05 08:57:16 UTC

Problem displaying Shift-JIS Japanese in Tomcat 4

Hi

I have a very simply jsp page.  It has

こんにちは

in shift-jis format in it.  However when I display this page I get garbage where
こんいちは is.  Is there any configuration that I need to do to enable Japanese
characters to be displayed.  At the top of the file I have

contentType="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS"

--

Cheers

Tony。

Re: Problem displaying Shift-JIS Japanese in Tomcat 4

Posted by Antony Stace <s4...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Joel

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:34:56 +0900
"Joel Rees" <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp> wrote:

> We're using Tomcat 3.2 and 3.3 with no problems. (Java SDK
> 1.3/MSW2k.pfleugh) I don't recall doing anything special in the setup, but
> I'll check it.
>
> Are you sure it's not your browser? Some older browsers did not recognize
> Shift_JIS, but did sort of recognize x-sjis.

I have tried IE 5.5/6.0 and a Mozilla build from yeasterday. So I guess its not the
browser.  Which coding scheme do you use? EUC, JIS, SHIFT_JIS.... ??

> Other issues --
>
> The old 8th bit problem should not occur if you are using localhost, I
> think. If you are ftp-ing to a remote host, do you have ftp set to force
> binary so your files arrive intact? What about your text editor? Is it
> saving your files in something else, say, UNICODE?

I have checked the file type of the files using nkf and kcc, and I am quite sure they
are in Shift_JIS format.

Ummm....not sure where to go from here.

Posted by Antony Stace <s4...@yahoo.com>.
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:37:30 +0800
"Galbayar" <ga...@mobicom.mn> wrote:

> <%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html" %>
> <head>
> </head>

I have

<%@ page contentType="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS" %>    (I am using Struts)

in all my jsp files.  When I change the compiler for the jsp files
in the tomcat configuration file from

/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.0/bin/javac

/usr/bin/jikes

the problem occurs.  Which leads me to think it is jikes causing the problem.

Cheers

Tony

Posted by Galbayar <ga...@mobicom.mn>.

Posted by Joel Rees <jo...@alpsgiken.gr.jp>.
> I worked out the problem.  I was using jikes to compile the jsp files in
Tomcat.  It
> seems that jikes does not support Japanese Characters.

That's useful to know.

Oh, since you asked, we do most of our work in shift-jis. I expect to see
Unicode gradually become more popular in the next several (five-ten?) years,
but the prevaling attitude in Japan seems to be to let others do the heavy
lifting concerning Unicode.

Joel

Re: Problem displaying Shift-JIS Japanese in Tomcat 4

Posted by Antony Stace <s4...@yahoo.com>.
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 18:34:56 +0900