Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by Shuo Wang <ec...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/03 10:44:12 UTC

The Iteration and Superstep

Hi,

What is the difference between the *iterations* and the *supersteps* when
we run pagerank or sssp on HAMA?

wangshuo

Re: The Iteration and Superstep

Posted by Suraj Menon <su...@apache.org>.
>From what I found while refactoring the code for GraphJobRunner in HAMA-632
is that roughly (not looking at edge cases):

if (aggregationRunner.isEnabled) /// If we have aggregators setup the
values would be aggregated by master in the extra superstep.
iterations = 2 * (number of supersteps after all vertices are loaded,
partitioned and repaired)
else
iterations = (number of supersteps after all vertices are loaded,
partitioned and repaired)

I think we can maintain the last execution completion time in
Vertex.compute to find the time for each iteration. Shouldn't this work?

-Suraj

Posted by Shuo Wang <ec...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.

--