Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "shrinath.m" <sh...@webyog.com> on 2011/04/01 14:32:35 UTC

Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

I was wondering whats the difference between the Lucene's 2 implementation of
highlighters...
I saw the javadoc of FVH, but it only says "another implementation of Lucene
Highlighter" ...

Can someone throw some more light on this ?

Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

Posted by "shrinath.m" <sh...@webyog.com>.
Got it :)

Thanks for the link.

[closed]

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Koji Sekiguchi [via Lucene] <
ml-node+2765616-1923995541-376162@n3.nabble.com> wrote:

> (11/04/01 21:32), shrinath.m wrote:
> > I was wondering whats the difference between the Lucene's 2
> implementation of
> > highlighters...
> > I saw the javadoc of FVH, but it only says "another implementation of
> Lucene
> > Highlighter" ...
>
> Description section in the javadoc shows the features of FVH:
>

> https://builds.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/all/org/apache/lucene/search/vectorhighlight/package-summary.html#package_description
>
>      * fast for large docs
>      * support N-gram fields
>      * support phrase-unit highlighting with slops
>      * need Java 1.5
>      * highlight fields need to be TermVector.WITH_POSITIONS_OFFSETS
>      * take into account query boost to score fragments
>      * support colored highlight tags
>      * pluggable FragListBuilder
>      * pluggable FragmentsBuilder
>
> Koji
> --
> http://www.rondhuit.com/en/

Regards
Shrinath.M

Re: Difference between regular Highlighter and Fast Vector Highlighter ?

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@r.email.ne.jp>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
The general and short answer is:

Highlighter: highlights more query types, has a fairly rich API, doesn't scale well to very large documents (though https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2939 is going to help a lot here) - does not require that you store term vectors, but is faster if you do.

FVH: works with fewer query types and requires that you store term vectors - but scales better than the std Highlighter to very large documents

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco