Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Maik Mrazovic <re...@web.de> on 2004/09/03 14:49:55 UTC

Problem to build james with ANT

Hello,

I am very disappointed after I tried to build james after i checked it out from jakarta CVS:

The documentation of building says only that I have to put Java Mail JAR and activation JAR into ./james-server/lib.  After doing it I still had 100 compile errors! Well, I analyzed it and found out that I have to put bouncycastle jars (bouncycastle.org) into classpath, but Apache did not notice that!

But after that I still have 3 compile errors:

 1. /usr/src/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/util/connection/SimpleConnectionManager.java:40: org.apache.james.util.connection.SimpleConnectionManager is not abstract and does not override abstract method connect(java.lang.String,java.net.ServerSocket,org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionHandlerFactory,org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.ThreadPool) in org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.services.connection.ConnectionManager
    [javac] public class SimpleConnectionManager

2.  /usr/src/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/core/AbstractJamesService.java:429: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method connect (java.lang.String,java.net.ServerSocket,org.apache.james.core.AbstractJamesService,org.apache.excalibur.thread.ThreadPool)
    [javac] location: interface org.apache.james.services.JamesConnectionManager
    [javac]                 connectionManager.connect(

3.  /usr/src/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/security/KeyHolder.java:213: addCertificatesAndCRLs(java.security.cert.CertStore) in org.bouncycastle.mail.smime.SMIMESignedGenerator cannot be applied to (org.bouncycastle.jce.cert.CertStore)
    [javac]         generator.addCertificatesAndCRLs(this.certStore);

Do you have any experience with building james?

best regards,

Maik

RE: Problem to build james with ANT

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Committed.  I thought I had done that weeks ago.

	--- Noel

Re: Problem to build james with ANT

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
>3.  /usr/src/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/security/KeyHolder.java:213: addCertificatesAndCRLs(java.security.cert.CertStore) in org.bouncycastle.mail.smime.SMIMESignedGenerator cannot be applied to (org.bouncycastle.jce.cert.CertStore)
>    [javac]         generator.addCertificatesAndCRLs(this.certStore)

See
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=james-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=12346

Vincenzo

RE: Problem to build james with ANT

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

I'm guessing your attempting to build the MAIN branch of James using the
build file in the root directory. If so, I'm not at all surprised that
you would be having multiple projects.  I have recently put in place a
totally clean build solution in the directory named 'project'.  In
principal all you should have to do to build the james jar file is the
following:

1. checkout james-server
2. $ cd $james-server/project

Then to build...

4. $ ant setup
5. $ ant

Please note that I've tested this locally and all is working fine but I
have not got any confirmation from other James developers on this.  If
the above procedure works or if any errors occur I would be interested
in hearing about them.

Cheers, Steve.