Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Oleg Tsvinev <ol...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/12 02:21:36 UTC

Help with Cassandra Row Caches

Hi everybody,

We set row cache too high, 10000 or so and now all our 6 nodes fail
with OOM. I believe that high row cache causes OOMs.

Now, we trying to change row cache sizes using cassandra-cli update
column family command but Cassandra nodes keep dying.

Any help is appreciated, it's a production accident that lasts for too
long already.

Thank you,
  Oleg

Re: Help with Cassandra Row Caches

Posted by Oleg Tsvinev <ol...@gmail.com>.
The problem was fixed by _decreasing_ heap size and applying changes
on the least loaded node.
Tyler, where saved caches are stored? /var/lib/cassandra/saved_caches?
Would it help relieving heap load?

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: Help with Cassandra Row Caches

Posted by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> We set row cache too high, 10000 or so and now all our 6 nodes fail
> with OOM. I believe that high row cache causes OOMs.

If you get into a fallen-and-cant-get-up scenario like this, I suggest
a rolling restart of nodes, and on each node:

(1) shut it down
(2) removed saved caches
(3) start it up
(4) (quickly) use nodetool to decrease the cache sizes *on that particular node*

Once that's done everywhere and everything is stable, a permanent and
cluster-wide change of cache sizes can be done by a schema change as
usual.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)