Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by ihunter <ih...@hotmail.com> on 2014/02/18 16:55:17 UTC

Problem with Apache CXF libs.

I have a legacy OpenEJB app I'm trying to get running under TomEE, and my
current issue relates to reading in WebServices via the TomEE apache-cxf
libraries.

I get an apparently recursive stack trace on startup like so:-

SEVERE: Error deploying JAX-WS Web Service for EJB LicenseServiceBean
java.lang.StackOverflowError
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil$6.run(ReflectionUtil.java:119)
	at org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil$6.run(ReflectionUtil.java:118)
	at
org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil.getDeclaredFields(ReflectionUtil.java:117)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.walkReferences(JAXBContextInitializer.java:339)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addClass(JAXBContextInitializer.java:272)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:222)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:212)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.walkReferences(JAXBContextInitializer.java:352)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addClass(JAXBContextInitializer.java:272)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:222)
	at
org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:212)

Q1: Has anybody seen this before and provide some insight?

Q2: I have removed various EJB refs. from the EJBs, and it changes location
of the error to another EJB -but doesn't solve it. Can anybody tell me what
sort of EJB/WS issueI might be looking for here?

Q3: I have a notion that upgrading CXF (all the cxf-rt-*.jars) to a later
version within my TomEE might help. Is this likely to cause more problems?

[BTW: The app. does load and run successfully in an older open-ejb (3.1.4),
and we need to upgrade]

Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Thanks
Ian Hunter

RE: Problem with Apache CXF libs.

Posted by ihunter <ih...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Romain,
Thank you for responding so quickly.
1. We don't provide any JAXB mappings. We simply have annotated Java @WebService, and @EJB.2. Understood about issues of upgrading CXF3. Might be difficult to 'simplify' and pass over. Partly because its probably the complexity of 7 EJBs which all seem to reference each other :-) This is also commercially sensitive, and I cannot send as is. I might try removing all EJBs, and then add one at a time to create a minimal set. If I can, I'll send over.
Many thanks for your input.Ian Hunter

------------------------------
Sent from my Hotmail Account.
------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 08:02:14 -0800
From: ml-node+s979440n4667868h44@n4.nabble.com
To: ihunter@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Problem with Apache CXF libs.

	Hi

answers inline

Romain Manni-Bucau

Twitter: @rmannibucau

Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/
Github: https://github.com/rmannibucau

> I have a legacy OpenEJB app I'm trying to get running under TomEE, and my

> current issue relates to reading in WebServices via the TomEE apache-cxf

> libraries.

> I get an apparently recursive stack trace on startup like so:-

> SEVERE: Error deploying JAX-WS Web Service for EJB LicenseServiceBean

> java.lang.StackOverflowError

>         at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredFields(Unknown Source)

>         at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields(Unknown Source)

>         at org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil$6.run(ReflectionUtil.java:119)

>         at org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil$6.run(ReflectionUtil.java:118)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.common.util.ReflectionUtil.getDeclaredFields(ReflectionUtil.java:117)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.walkReferences(JAXBContextInitializer.java:339)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addClass(JAXBContextInitializer.java:272)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:222)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:212)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.walkReferences(JAXBContextInitializer.java:352)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addClass(JAXBContextInitializer.java:272)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:222)

>         at

> org.apache.cxf.jaxb.JAXBContextInitializer.addType(JAXBContextInitializer.java:212)

> Q1: Has anybody seen this before and provide some insight?

related to jaxb not cxf directly, is your jaxb mapping working with

version used by tomee (= was the previous jaxb too tolerant?). Do you

provide jaxb (you shouldnt)?

> Q2: I have removed various EJB refs. from the EJBs, and it changes location

> of the error to another EJB -but doesn't solve it. Can anybody tell me what

> sort of EJB/WS issueI might be looking for here?

Not sure i fully get it, but if the error is related to jaxb

"touching" the object is enough.

> Q3: I have a notion that upgrading CXF (all the cxf-rt-*.jars) to a later

> version within my TomEE might help. Is this likely to cause more problems?

cxf 2.7 shouldn't be used in tomee if you don't exactly know what you

do + tomee is relatively up to date so I'd say don't do it.

> [BTW: The app. does load and run successfully in an older open-ejb (3.1.4),

> and we need to upgrade]

> Any help/pointers much appreciated.

if you handle to share something reproducing it  (a maven project

reproducing the issue with a mvn tomee:run) we could surely help you

> Thanks

> Ian Hunter

		http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/Problem-with-Apache-CXF-libs-tp4667867p4667868.html

		To unsubscribe from Problem with Apache CXF libs., click here.

		NAML

Re: Problem with Apache CXF libs.

Posted by ihunter <ih...@hotmail.com>.
Finally got to the bottom of this. Seems that a @WebFault class had a member
reference to an instance of itself which sent the CXF recursive. Since we
down seem to need this WebFault (its not thrown across web service - I think
we can just eliminate it.

Thx

Re: Problem with Apache CXF libs.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.