Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Alex Bull <ap...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/22 12:05:56 UTC

Retention policies question

Hi, Dear Kafka Developers,

I've read 'Kafka: The Definitive Guide' by Narkhede and others and I have a
following question.
On what side topic retention policies (delete or compact) are performed?
I have a guess that they work only on  brokers that hold leader replica of
partition.
Or am I  wrong ?

With best regards,
Alex.

Re: Retention policies question

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Kafka purges old messages from both leaders and replicas.

If there was a mistake in the book, can you tell me which chapter and page?
We'll fix it.

Gwen