Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@MIT.EDU> on 2001/02/08 23:03:13 UTC

shtool invokes head but misses and invokes something else?

   I'm trying to start the port to Darwin, and whenever the apr build
calls shtool, I get this wierd unhappy spewage:

Unknown option: 1
Usage: head [-options] <url>...
     -m <method>   use method for the request (default is 'HEAD')
     -f            make request even if head believes method is illegal
     -b <base>     Use the specified URL as base
     -t <timeout>  Set timeout value
     -i <time>     Set the If-Modified-Since header on the request
     -c <conttype> use this content-type for POST, PUT, CHECKIN
     -a            Use text mode for content I/O
     -p <proxyurl> use this as a proxy
     -P            don't load proxy settings from environment
     -H <header>   send this HTTP header (you can specify several)

     -u            Display method and URL before any response
     -U            Display request headers (implies -u)
     -s            Display response status code
     -S            Display response status chain
     -e            Display response headers
     -d            Do not display content
     -o <format>   Process HTML content in various ways

     -v            Show program version
     -h            Print this message

     -x            Extra debugging output

Apparently, shtool is invoking "head -1" which should be fine, because
head *does* accept a -1 argument, but instead some other program with
the above usage is being invoked and I can't figure out why this might
be the case.  Anybody recognize that usage output?  Certainly looks
Apache-ish, but I can't find it in APR.

	-Fred

Wilfredo Sánchez - wsanchez@apache.org
Apache Software Foundation

Re: shtool invokes head but misses and invokes something else?

Posted by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@KnowNow.com>.
On Thursday, February 8, 2001, at 04:14  PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> It is the output from libwww-perl's head script, which should
> have been installed as lwphead or HEAD to avoid this conflict.

   Aw, hell.

[joliet-jake:~] wsanchez% file /usr/bin/head
/usr/bin/head: perl commands text

   What kinda stupid distribution stomps on system software in the
default install like that?  Sheesh.  Looks I need to undo some damage.

   Thanks.

	-Fred

Re: shtool invokes head but misses and invokes something else?

Posted by Wilfredo Sanchez <ws...@MIT.EDU>.
   Oh, I get it.  LPW tries to install /usr/bin/HEAD and stomps
/usr/bin/head because it's HFS+.

   Eit.

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>.
> Apparently, shtool is invoking "head -1" which should be fine, because
> head *does* accept a -1 argument, but instead some other program with
> the above usage is being invoked and I can't figure out why this might
> be the case.  Anybody recognize that usage output?  Certainly looks
> Apache-ish, but I can't find it in APR.

It is the output from libwww-perl's head script, which should
have been installed as lwphead or HEAD to avoid this conflict.

shtool should be using an absolute path anyway.

....Roy

Re: shtool invokes head but misses and invokes something else?

Posted by Greg Marr <gr...@alum.wpi.edu>.
At 05:03 PM 02/08/2001, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>Unknown option: 1
>Usage: head [-options] <url>...
>     -m <method>   use method for the request (default is 'HEAD')

This looks like a Perl program, from the LWP package (get, head, post).

--
Greg Marr
gregm@alum.wpi.edu

Re: shtool invokes head but misses and invokes something else?

Posted by "B. W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@apple.com>.

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:
>  Anybody recognize that usage output?  Certainly looks
>  Apache-ish, but I can't find it in APR.

It's a Perl script that's part of LWP:

pantheon: ~>HEAD -1
[...]

pantheon: ~>which HEAD
/usr/bin/HEAD
pantheon: ~>head /usr/bin/HEAD
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl -w -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
    if 0; # not running under some shell

# $Id: lwp-request.PL,v 1.39 1999/10/28 12:13:21 gisle Exp $
#
# Simple user agent using LWP library.

=head1 NAME
pantheon: ~>