Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de> on 2006/09/14 22:37:17 UTC

[M10N] Eclipse projects

Hi,

I tried the Maven build at home and it worked. Only eclipse:eclipse
generates some project definitions, which don't work:
cocoon-template-impl had a wrong source dir, so that package declaration
did not match the package set in Eclipse. Same is true for
cocoon-22-archetype-block. cocoon-blocks-fw-tests seems to miss many
dependencies at least for src/test/java.

Is this something we can influence at all? Is this a problem of the
Maven Eclipse plugin? Or is everything left to the project wizard of
Eclipse?

Jörg

Re: [M10N] Eclipse projects

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 17.09.2006 14:38, Leszek Gawron wrote:
>
>>> Is this something we can influence at all? Is this a problem of the
>>> Maven Eclipse plugin? Or is everything left to the project wizard of
>>> Eclipse?
>>>
>> Are you refering to maven eclipse plugin which you invoke by mvn
>> eclipse:eclipse or to m2eclipse (which is an eclipse plugin for
>> handling maven projects)?
>
> One is the Maven Eclipse plugin, the other one the Eclipse Maven plugin ;)
>
> I refer to Maven plugin invoked via eclipse:eclipse as described in our
> readme.txt or in Daisy.
I've been having problems with this plugin too. Switched to m2eclipse.
It is enough to refresh project after modifying pom.xml and new jars are
automaticaly placed on classpath.

Re: [M10N] Eclipse projects

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.

Re: [M10N] Eclipse projects

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried the Maven build at home and it worked. Only eclipse:eclipse
> generates some project definitions, which don't work:
> cocoon-template-impl had a wrong source dir, so that package declaration
> did not match the package set in Eclipse. Same is true for
> cocoon-22-archetype-block. cocoon-blocks-fw-tests seems to miss many
> dependencies at least for src/test/java.
>
> Is this something we can influence at all? Is this a problem of the
> Maven Eclipse plugin? Or is everything left to the project wizard of
> Eclipse?
>
> Jörg
Are you refering to maven eclipse plugin which you invoke by mvn
eclipse:eclipse or to m2eclipse (which is an eclipse plugin for handling
maven projects)?

I've been testing both and both have significant bugs but I did manage
to get m2eclipse usable.

The biggest m2eclipse problems are:
- not being able to switch to offline (even though this is configurable)
- sometimes transitive dependencies have to be stated explicitly:
     - they are either not included in .classpath
     - or the opposite: you get two same artifacts on classpath only with
       different versions
- I've run into some infinite loops (eclipse hung consuming all
resources) when having a project subclipsed and then maven enabled.