Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/09 20:29:41 UTC

Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Greetings,

I'm with the MyFaces project and we're now learning "the Maven way."
We are trying to publish our first jars to the Maven repo.  In the
past we were asked to copy our jars files manually to
www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/myfaces/...

The latest ASF documentation seems to suggest copying to a different
location: www.apache.org/dist/maven-repository/org/apache/myfaces.  So
this is where I have copied them for this first release.

Unfortunately it does not appear that the maven-repository directory
gets synched automatically and we're supposed to send a request to the
dev list.  Our preference would be for automatic synching but I also
want to be a good neighbor and publish in accordance with the project
guidelines.

By the way, the older jars in java-repository for myfaces were copied
their at the request of some of our users.  So they were not
'mavenized' in any way but apparently somebody added some poms for
them, etc.  At some point (when we have a full release ready) maybe we
can clean this up.

TIA,

Sean Schofield
MyFaces PMC

Re: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Ok - I was just going on Carlos' questions, but I think you answered
them in the other mail.

It is a manual sync, but please sign the plugin JAR beforehand (see the
README.txt in the root for a list of prerequisites).

- Brett

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Could I just ask that we experiment with this in the snapshot repository
> first? The /dist/ directory is mirrored worldwide and I'd prefer the
> final releases go in there once everyone is happy.

Sure except this wasn't an experiment ;-)  We have released the POM
and we're trying to publish it.  We've already done our snapshot
experiments.

Are you sure the maven-repository dir is synched automatically?  I
thought Carlos said you need to request this on the dev list.  We are
still requesting this btw ..

> Thanks,
> Brett

Sean

Re: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, in the future I'll use JIRA as you have suggested.

Sean

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
It's done now and will propagate to ibiblio in the next 8 hours.

Maybe a issue in jira.codehaus.org/browse/MEV assigned to me would be better.

On 2/13/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a reminder that we are still waiting on these jars to be synched
> in ibiblio.
>
> Sean
>
> ps. Is a JIRA issue better for this type of request?
>

> On 2/11/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please also published the newly relesed (this morning) myfaces-commons
> > stuff. Its in the maven-repository dir and the jars have been signed.
> > We should be releasing a few more artifacts in a week or two.  Thanks
> > for your help.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > On 2/11/06, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Carlos,
> > >
> > > I'm done republishing.  Can you please perform the sync?  After the
> > > sync is done is the stuff wiped from this location or is it held here
> > > permanently?  (It doesn't matter to me, just curious about how it
> > > works.)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Sean

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Carlos,

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
On 2/10/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> It's not a rebundle of Wagon, and I'm sure they can do what they want
> under their namespace :)

Thanks ;-)

> However, I am curious. What *is* the wagon-maven-plugin? Is it something
> that would be useful to the Maven community at large?

It might be.  Its basically something to publish the assembly only
(for nightly builds).  We didn't want the pom and all that crap in the
nightly build dir.  The nightly build dir is for users and we don't
need to confuse them with maven.

I didn't write it so I don't know the details.  You are obviously
welcome to anything we come up  with.  I have a feeling we will be
making some contributions soon because there are some outstanding
needs.

If the the sync has not happened already can you hold off?  I want to
do a rebuild that makes a minor change.

> - Brett

Sean

Re: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Fwd: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I sent this to Carlos directly instead of the list.

Sean

> Both places are only for PMC approved releases, copied to ibiblio (m1
> automatically, m2 on demand)

OK thats good.  This means we published everything to the right spot.
Those older releases were non maven so they didn't have the m2 stuff.

> For not releases (snapshots or nightly builds), and not mirrored anywhere
> cvs.apache.org/repository/myfaces for m1
> cvs.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/myfaces for m2

Good.  We are using the correct (m2) snapshot location then.

> I suppose you're using m2 to build, I don't know if a release or just
> a snapshot, but several things look wrong to me after a first look,
> like groupId naming including "maven". If you point me to the source
> repo where the m2 stuff is I can help you with conventions and maven
> standards.

The "maven" directory is a subproject that we use to maintain a master
pom and some maven related

Source repo is https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/maven/branches/1_0_0
(for the release in question.)

I don't think I can possibly handle one more mailing list at the time.
 I am already getting pummeled by the very active maven and myfaces
user lists!

> Regards

Sean

Re: Where do I publish ASF Project Jars?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Sean,