Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2004/12/14 16:17:06 UTC

Debugging lack of network tests

I realized that since my reboot last week that network tests are no longer
running. Any hints on tracking down why? I'm stilling running 3.0, on
Fedora Core 2 using spamd. SA is launched using spamc in /etc/procmailrc:

:0fw
* < 200000

RE: Debugging lack of network tests

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> > Hmm, just retried it twice more, and the test succeeds on these two
> > tests. Perhaps Net::DNS gives up too quickly?
>
> Found the section in "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf" on
> dns_available and
> changed it to use a domain my server is master for, to
> guarantee that it
> has the records on hand if it's up. In
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf I
> now include:
>
> # DNS tests may time out prematurely indicating falsely that BIND is
> # down so query a zone we are authoritative for locally
> dns_available test: myhouse.lan

Or maybe just:

dns_available: yes

Bret

Re: Debugging lack of network tests

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 7:58 AM -0800 Kenneth Porter

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, December 14, 2004 10:43 AM -0500 Matt Kettler
<mk...@evi-inc.com> wrote:

> I'd start off simple...
>
>          spamassassin --lint -D
>
> See what that can tell you. If that's showing network tests working, try
> adding -D to spamd's start up (note: spamd not spamc) and check your
> syslogs. (warning: this will dump lots of debug into your mail log)

Aha!

debug: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
debug: Net::DNS version: 0.45
debug: trying (3) ebay.com...
debug: looking up NS for 'ebay.com'
debug: NS lookup of ebay.com failed horribly => Perhaps your resolv.conf
isn't pointing at a valid server?
debug: All NS queries failed => DNS unavailable (set dns_available to
override)
debug: is DNS available? 0

However, "dig ebay.com ns" gives me valid results. (I'm running BIND and
resolv.conf points at 127.0.0.1.) So it looks like maybe something's wrong
with Net::DNS.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Ed Kasky" <ed...@esson.net>

> At 12:46 PM Tuesday, 12/14/2004, jdow wrote -=>
> >From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>
> >
> > > I realized that since my reboot last week that network tests are no
longer
> > > running. Any hints on tracking down why? I'm stilling running 3.0, on
> > > Fedora Core 2 using spamd. SA is launched using spamc in
/etc/procmailrc:

> > > :0fw
> > > * < 200000
> >
> >chkconfig --list spamassassin
> >
> >If it's all "off" then do
> >"chkconfig spamassassin on;service spamassassin restart"
>
> Shouldn't it be "chkconfig --list spamd" as spamd is the daemon and
> spamassassin the script?

Not on Mandrake or RedHat. Their "service" scripts take the name given
and look for that in /etc/rc.d/init.d. (That directory's also aliased
to /etc/init.d.) If the script exists it checks the /etc/rc.d/rcN.d
directories for the status. Debian, Slackware, and other distributions
are likely to be different.

{^_^}

Re: Debugging lack of network tests

Posted by Ed Kasky <ed...@esson.net>.
At 12:46 PM Tuesday, 12/14/2004, jdow wrote -=>
>From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>
>
> > I realized that since my reboot last week that network tests are no longer
> > running. Any hints on tracking down why? I'm stilling running 3.0, on
> > Fedora Core 2 using spamd. SA is launched using spamc in /etc/procmailrc:
> >
> > :0fw
> > * < 200000
> > | /usr/bin/spamc
>
>chkconfig --list spamassassin
>
>If it's all "off" then do
>"chkconfig spamassassin on;service spamassassin restart"

Shouldn't it be "chkconfig --list spamd" as spamd is the daemon and
spamassassin the script?

Ed
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance.
-- Confucius

Re: Debugging lack of network tests

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Kenneth Porter" <sh...@sewingwitch.com>