Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/12 11:47:27 UTC

Solr cloud questions

Hi,
I am using Solr cloud on this configuration:

2 boxes (one Solr in each box)
4 instances per box

At this moment I have an active collections with about 300.000 docs. The
other collections are not being queried. The acctive collection is
configured:
- shards: 16
- replication factor: 2

These two Solrs (Solr1 and Solr2) use Zookeper (one box, one instance. No
zookeeper cluster)

My application point to Solr1, and everything works fine, until suddenly on
instance of this Solr1 dies. This istance is on port 8983, the "main"
instance. I thought it could be related to memory usage, but we increase
RAM and JVM memory but it still dies.
The Solr1, the one wich dies,is the destination where I point my web
application.

Here I have two questions that I hope you can help me:

1. Which log can I look for debug this issue?
2. After this instance dies, the Solr cloud does not answer to my web
application. Is this correct? I thougth that the replicas should answer if
one shard, instance or one box goes down.

Regards,
Koji

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/15/2019 8:14 AM, Kojo wrote:
> I am starting to think that my setup has more than one problem.
> As I said before, I am not balancing my load to Solr nodes, and I have
> eight nodes. All of my web application requests go to one Solr node, the
> only one that dies. If I distribute the load across the other nodes, is it
> possible that these problems may end?
>
> Even if I downsize the Solr cloud setup to 2 boxes 2 nodes each with less
> shards than the 16 shards that I have now, I would like to know your
> oppinion about the question above.

Based on those GC logs, we have 58 hours of good steady operation,
followed by something bad.  Something happened in those few minutes that
*didn't* happen in the previous 58 hours.

You could try increasing the heap beyond 6GB, but depending on what went
wrong, that might not help.  And as Erick was hinting at, large heaps
can create their own problems.

The better option is to figure out what's happening when it all goes bad
and keep that from happening.  Load balancing might help, or it might
cause whatever's happening on the one node to happen to all your nodes.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Erick,
I am using Python, so I think SolrJ is not an option. I wrote my libs to
connect to Solr and interpret Solr data.

I will try to load balance via Apache that is in front of Solr, before I
change my setup, I think it will be simpler. I was not aware about the
single point of failure on Solr Cloud when I set my infra.

Thank you so much for your help,
Koji

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Erick,

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Kojo:

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Ere,
thanks for the advice. I don´t have this specific use case, but I am doing
some operations that I think could be risky, due to the first time I am
using.

There is a page that groups by one specific attribute of documents
distributed accros shards. I am using Composite ID to allow grouping
correctly, but I don´t know the performance of this task. This page groups
and lists this attributes like "snippets". And it is allowed to page.

I am doing some graph queries too, using streaming.  As far as I observe,
this features are not causing the problem I described.

Thank you,
Koji

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi>.

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Shawn,

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Kojo <rb...@gmail.com>.
Erick and Shawn,
thank you very much for the very usefull information.

When I start to move from sigle Solr to cloud, I was planning to use the
cluster for very large collections.

But the collection that I said, will not grow that much, so I will downsize
shards.

Thanks for the information about load balancing. I will provide it.

Shawn, bellow I share the information that I hope will clarify.

Linux CentOS
Solr 6.6
64 Gb each box
6 Gb each node

The last time the node died was on 2019-08-11. It happens sometimes a week.

--------------
tail -f  node1/logs/solr_oom_killer-8983-2019-08-11_22_57_56.log
Running OOM killer script for process 38788 for Solr on port 8983
Killed process 38788
--------------

--------------
ls -ltr  node1/logs/archived/
total 82032
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr 20973030 Aug  4 18:31 solr_gc.log.0
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr 20973415 Aug  6 21:05 solr_gc.log.1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr 20971714 Aug  9 12:01 solr_gc.log.2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr 20971720 Aug 11 22:53 solr_gc.log.3
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr    77096 Aug 11 22:57 solr_gc.log.4.current
-rw-rw-r-- 1 solr solr      364 Aug 11 22:57 solr-8983-console.log
--------------

--------------
tail -50   node1/logs/archived/solr_gc.log.4.current
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
}
2019-08-11T22:57:39.231-0300: 802516.887: Total time for which application
threads were stopped: 12.5386815 seconds, Stopping threads took: 0.0001242
seconds
{Heap before GC invocations=34291 (full 252):
 par new generation   total 1310720K, used 1310719K [0x0000000640000000,
0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000006a0000000)
  eden space 1048576K, 100% used [0x0000000640000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000680000000)
  from space 262144K,  99% used [0x0000000690000000, 0x000000069ffffff8,
0x00000006a0000000)
  to   space 262144K,   0% used [0x0000000680000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000690000000)
 concurrent mark-sweep generation total 4718592K, used 4718592K
[0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000007c0000000, 0x00000007c0000000)
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
2019-08-11T22:57:39.233-0300: 802516.889: [Full GC (Allocation Failure)
2019-08-11T22:57:39.233-0300: 802516.889: [CMS:
4718592K->4718591K(4718592K), 5.5779385 secs] 6029311K->6029311K(6029312K),
[Metaspace: 50496K->50496K(1097728K)], 5.5780863 secs] [Times: user=5.58
sys=0.00, real=5.58 secs]
Heap after GC invocations=34292 (full 253):
 par new generation   total 1310720K, used 1310719K [0x0000000640000000,
0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000006a0000000)
  eden space 1048576K,  99% used [0x0000000640000000, 0x000000067fffff68,
0x0000000680000000)
  from space 262144K,  99% used [0x0000000690000000, 0x000000069fffff18,
0x00000006a0000000)
  to   space 262144K,   0% used [0x0000000680000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000690000000)
 concurrent mark-sweep generation total 4718592K, used 4718591K
[0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000007c0000000, 0x00000007c0000000)
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
}
2019-08-11T22:57:44.812-0300: 802522.469: Total time for which application
threads were stopped: 5.5805500 seconds, Stopping threads took: 0.0001295
seconds
{Heap before GC invocations=34292 (full 253):
 par new generation   total 1310720K, used 1310719K [0x0000000640000000,
0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000006a0000000)
  eden space 1048576K, 100% used [0x0000000640000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000680000000)
  from space 262144K,  99% used [0x0000000690000000, 0x000000069fffff98,
0x00000006a0000000)
  to   space 262144K,   0% used [0x0000000680000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000690000000)
 concurrent mark-sweep generation total 4718592K, used 4718591K
[0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000007c0000000, 0x00000007c0000000)
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
2019-08-11T22:57:44.813-0300: 802522.470: [Full GC (Allocation Failure)
2019-08-11T22:57:44.813-0300: 802522.470: [CMS:
4718591K->4718591K(4718592K), 5.5944800 secs] 6029311K->6029311K(6029312K),
[Metaspace: 50496K->50496K(1097728K)], 5.5946363 secs] [Times: user=5.60
sys=0.00, real=5.59 secs]
Heap after GC invocations=34293 (full 254):
 par new generation   total 1310720K, used 1310719K [0x0000000640000000,
0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000006a0000000)
  eden space 1048576K,  99% used [0x0000000640000000, 0x000000067fffffe8,
0x0000000680000000)
  from space 262144K,  99% used [0x0000000690000000, 0x000000069fffff98,
0x00000006a0000000)
  to   space 262144K,   0% used [0x0000000680000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000690000000)
 concurrent mark-sweep generation total 4718592K, used 4718591K
[0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000007c0000000, 0x00000007c0000000)
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
}
{Heap before GC invocations=34293 (full 254):
 par new generation   total 1310720K, used 1310719K [0x0000000640000000,
0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000006a0000000)
  eden space 1048576K,  99% used [0x0000000640000000, 0x000000067fffffe8,
0x0000000680000000)
  from space 262144K,  99% used [0x0000000690000000, 0x000000069fffff98,
0x00000006a0000000)
  to   space 262144K,   0% used [0x0000000680000000, 0x0000000680000000,
0x0000000690000000)
 concurrent mark-sweep generation total 4718592K, used 4718591K
[0x00000006a0000000, 0x00000007c0000000, 0x00000007c0000000)
 Metaspace       used 50496K, capacity 51788K, committed 53140K, reserved
1097728K
  class space    used 5001K, capacity 5263K, committed 5524K, reserved
1048576K
2019-08-11T22:57:50.408-0300: 802528.065: [Full GC (Allocation Failure)
2019-08-11T22:57:50.408-0300: 802528.065: [CMS:
4718591K->4718591K(4718592K), 5.5953203 secs] 6029311K->6029311K(6029312K),
[Metaspace: 50496K->50496K(1097728K)], 5.5954659 secs] [Times: user=5.60
sys=0.00, real=5.60 secs]
--------------

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Re: Solr cloud questions

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Kojo:

The solr logs should give you a much better idea of what the triggering event was.

Just increasing the heap doesn’t guarantee much, again the Solr logs will report the OOM exception if it’s memory-related. You haven’t told us what your physical RAM is nor how much you’re allocating to heap, those would be helpful.

As far as Solr not answering, It Depends (tm). How are you querying Solr? If it’s just using an HTTP request to the node that died, there’s no communication possible, the http end-point is down. If you’re using SolrJ or load balancer in front, then it should, indeed get to the live Solr and you should get a reply.

I’ll add that from what you report, this system seems massivley over-sharded. I generally start my testing with the assumption that I can fit 50,000,000 documents per shard on a decent-sized box. So unless this configuration is for massive planned growth, the number of shards you have is far in excess of what you need. This isn’t the root cause of your problem, but it doesn’t help either….

Best,
Erick