Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Gerardo Reynaga <ge...@scs.carleton.ca> on 2004/01/15 15:29:53 UTC

ReplaceModule directive!?

Hello,

I would like to get pointers regarding an idea (good or bad) that I have.

I want to pass two modules on the command line: old version and new
version (e.g. httpd -R "ReplaceModule /path/mod_name.so
/path/mod_name_v2.so") without doing a graceful restart on the server or
changes to the httpd.conf file. I want also to do some degree of state
transfer between the old module and the new module.
I was planning to use some of the existing functionality of mod_so.c for
LoadModule directive. I have in mind to do a module to handle the
ReplaceModule directive.

I started looking the code and reading some documentation. What am I
getting into? Is it feasible? Is there a way to pass directives to httpd
once the server is running?

Thanks in advance,
Gerardo

Re: ReplaceModule directive!?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Lars Eilebrecht wrote:

> According to Gerardo Reynaga:
>
> > Is there a way to pass directives to httpd
> > once the server is running?
>
> How about using a graceful restart?
> Would that be feasible in your case?

Graceful restart (along with HUP restart and even stop) fails horribly
when an installed module has been updated.  We could do with a mechanism
for that, and if Gerardo is going to implement it then great (though
I can't help thinking it ought to be simpler: an unload-all-modules
thing).

Perhaps this wants a bug report.

--
Nick Kew

Re: ReplaceModule directive!?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Gerardo Reynaga:

> Is there a way to pass directives to httpd
> once the server is running?

How about using a graceful restart?
Would that be feasible in your case?

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht               - "Too clever is dumb." (Ogden Nash)
lars@hyperreal.org