Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2003/02/10 17:49:10 UTC

[OT] Stefano's new signature

Stefano,

I just noticed you new signature : "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine
necessitate [William of Ockham]". Can you give us a translation, since I
guess there are lots of non native latin speakers out there ;-)

Thanks,
Sylvain

Re: [OT] Stefano's new signature

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stefano,
>
> I just noticed you new signature : "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine
> necessitate [William of Ockham]". Can you give us a translation, since
> I guess there are lots of non native latin speakers out there ;-)

"Do not multiply entities unnecessarily" or something like this, know as
"Razor of Ockham" [1].

Vadim

[1]
http://www.google.com/search?q=Razor+of+Ockham&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
> This reminds me of my favorite quote : "Perfection is achieved not when
> there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to remove"
> (Antoine de Saint-Exup?ry, also quoted by ESR in the Cathedral and the
> Bazaar). This is pinned on my office wall.

Sylvain, wow I like that one too, although I have never heard it before.

My favorite quote at the moment, is somewhat less intellectual in
nature:

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and
we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
		- W.C. Fields

Hmmm... :)

Regards,
Michael

Posted by Conal Tuohy <co...@paradise.net.nz>.
> The occam razor is most commonly translared as: "between more
> choices,
> the simplest is normally right one". Goes along with
> Einstein's thoughts
> about 'between two theories, the most elegant is probably the
> right one'.

I read another Einstein version of Ockham's razor: (from memory) "things
should made as simple as possible, but no simpler".

I really like the implied alternative of making things "impossibly" simple
:-)

Con

Re: [OT] Stefano's new signature

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le Lundi, 10 fév 2003, à 18:04 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
>
>> This reminds me of my favorite quote : "Perfection is achieved not
>> when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to
>> remove" (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, also quoted by ESR in the Cathedral
>> and the Bazaar). This is pinned on my office wall.

I think it was Blaise Pascal who said: "I'm writing you this long letter
because I lack the time of writing a shorter one".

Anyway, this is not going to be one long-lasting signature like the
previous oue, but I thought it was worth it for a while.

The occam razor is most commonly translared as: "between more choices,
the simplest is normally right one". Goes along with Einstein's thoughts
about 'between two theories, the most elegant is probably the right one'.

Simplicity and elegance are two sides of the same coin and reflect the
particular human ability to extract patterns from information in such a
deep format that concepts like 'elegance' and 'simplicity' will be very
hard to achieve (I say impossible) by turing machines (Like Alan Turing,
I don't believe the human brain is a turing machine, unlike Marvin
Minsky et alia).

But also has a more personal meaning attached to it given my status of
single I thought it was very funny, yet very thoughtful ;-)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [OT] Stefano's new signature

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
Le Lundi, 10 fév 2003, à 18:04 Europe/Zurich, Sylvain Wallez a écrit :
> This reminds me of my favorite quote : "Perfection is achieved not
> when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to
> remove" (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, also quoted by ESR in the Cathedral
> and the Bazaar). This is pinned on my office wall.

I like this one a lot too, but I thought it was from Albert Einstein.
Or maybe here they say it's from him and in France they say it's St-Ex?
(just kidding, you must be right!)

Which makes this discussion recursively obsolete - is it more perfect
if we go on talking about it or are all our talks "left to remove"?

(Well, let's get some aspirin and get back to work)

-Bertrand

Re: [OT] Stefano's new signature

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> I just noticed you new signature : "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine
>> necessitate [William of Ockham]". Can you give us a translation,
>> since I guess there are lots of non native latin speakers out there ;-)
>

> I asked my friend Google, says he doesn't know but knows someone who
> knows:
>
> From http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_of_Ockham:
> "Pluralities should not be posited without necessity"
>
> And if your english is like mine you might like the French too, from
> http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/O/Occam.html:
> "Les choses essentielles ne doivent pas être multipliées sans nécessité "

Mmmmh... this will require a lot of thoughts...

This reminds me of my favorite quote : "Perfection is achieved not when
there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to remove"
(Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, also quoted by ESR in the Cathedral and the

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

 From http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_of_Ockham:
"Pluralities should not be posited without necessity"

And if your english is like mine you might like the French too, from
http://www.linux-france.org/prj/jargonf/O/Occam.html:
"Les choses essentielles ne doivent pas être multipliées sans
nécessité "

I like it - except that it makes my own sig look sooo bland ;-)

--
   Bertrand Delacretaz (codeconsult.ch, jfor.org)
   XML, java, XSLT, Cocoon, FOP, mentoring/programming/teaching