Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by atrout <aa...@digitas.com> on 2008/10/23 20:55:03 UTC

IE6 + load balancer through proxy problem

We are having a very peculiar problem with a website not working properly
under very specific conditions.

The site is built with wicket and running on Apache + Resin. There are two
load balanced servers, and each apache instance points only to the resin
instance on the same server. We are using sticky sessions both on the load
balancer hardware and in the resin configuration.

The client is behind a proxy and they can only use IE6 to access the site.
Upon initial page load when they are trying to access the site through the
domain name or through the IP address of the load balancer they are getting
one of those inscrutable IE6 javascript errors:

Line: 2
Char: 1
Error: Invalid character
Code: 0

After that almost all of the Ajax controls on the site don't function. There
are errors in the logs which look like this:

2008-10-21 11:35:05,906 ERROR [hmux-XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:6802-13:]
org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle - Method onLinkClicked of interface
org.apache.wicket.markup.html.link.ILinkListener targeted at component
[MarkupContainer [Component id = offerDetailsLink, page =
com.aexp.pursuits.wicket.pages.PlayGolf, path =
1:golfForm:offersPanel:offerFragmentPanel:offerDetailsLink.OffersPanel$OfferFragment$1,
isVisible = true, isVersioned = true]] threw an exception
org.apache.wicket.WicketRuntimeException: Method onLinkClicked of interface
org.apache.wicket.markup.html.link.ILinkListener targeted at component
[MarkupContainer [Component id = offerDetailsLink, page =
com.aexp.pursuits.wicket.pages.PlayGolf, path =
1:golfForm:offersPanel:offerFragmentPanel:offerDetailsLink.OffersPanel$OfferFragment$1,
isVisible = true, isVersioned = true]] threw an exception
        at
org.apache.wicket.RequestListenerInterface.invoke(RequestListenerInterface.java:194)
        at
org.apache.wicket.request.target.component.listener.ListenerInterfaceRequestTarget.processEvents(ListenerInterfaceRequestTarget.java:73)
        at
org.apache.wicket.request.AbstractRequestCycleProcessor.processEvents(AbstractRequestCycleProcessor.java:91)
        at
org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.processEventsAndRespond(RequestCycle.java:1166)
        at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.step(RequestCycle.java:1243)
        at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.steps(RequestCycle.java:1331)
        at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.request(RequestCycle.java:493)
        at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.doGet(WicketFilter.java:363)
        at
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.doFilter(WicketFilter.java:194)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.FilterFilterChain.doFilter(FilterFilterChain.java:87)
        at
com.caucho.server.cache.CacheFilterChain.doFilter(CacheFilterChain.java:187)
        at
com.caucho.server.webapp.WebAppFilterChain.doFilter(WebAppFilterChain.java:181)
        at
com.caucho.server.dispatch.ServletInvocation.service(ServletInvocation.java:266)
        at
com.caucho.server.hmux.HmuxRequest.handleRequest(HmuxRequest.java:435)
        at com.caucho.server.port.TcpConnection.run(TcpConnection.java:603)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool$Item.runTasks(ThreadPool.java:721)
        at com.caucho.util.ThreadPool$Item.run(ThreadPool.java:643)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.wicket.RequestListenerInterface.invoke(RequestListenerInterface.java:183)
        ... 17 more
        at
com.aexp.pursuits.wicket.panels.OffersPanel$OfferFragment$1.onClick(OffersPanel.java:233)
        at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.markup.html.AjaxFallbackLink.onClick(AjaxFallbackLink.java:98)
        at
org.apache.wicket.markup.html.link.Link.onLinkClicked(Link.java:214)
        ... 22 more

It appears that the AjaxRequestTarget is null.

When the client tries to access the site through the IP address of either of
the two servers there is no javascript error and the site works. The site
also works in Firefox and IE7 at the client.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Do you have any clue what the
problem might be? It is very difficult for us to debug this because we are
unable to reproduce the problem and have very little access to the client
environment to test things out there.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Anna

Re: IE6 + load balancer through proxy problem

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
in the homepage, or the very first page they hit try binding the
session... in the page's constructor do getSession().bind() and see if
that helps. it is possible on the first request to create more then
one session and that will get wicket confused.

-igor