Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com> on 2001/09/11 09:19:46 UTC

[excalibur]Hierarchy management in LogKitManager

Hi folks,

Looking at the recent change in LogKitManager, I was wondering about the
Hierarchy management. At first, the LogKitManager used the default
hierarchy, and now it always creates a new one.

While this doesn't affect components that get their logger through the
ComponentManager, it does affect logging of low-level non-component
classes that get a logger using Hierarchy.getDefaultHierarchy(). I have
plenty of them here (switched to LogKit from Log4J in which this is the
preferred way).

So, it would be good for the Hierarchy management to be configurable in
LogKitManager :
- at the minimum with a boolean configuration telling whether using the
default hierarchy or creating a new one.
- at the best with a pluggable HierarchyFactory.

Thoughts about this ?

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: [excalibur]Hierarchy management in LogKitManager

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 21:55, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> BTW, I didn't noticed, but the Reply-To header points to your address
> instead of the list.

hmm I thought the list software overode that .. ohwell I modified settings of
mail client to fix this ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [excalibur]Hierarchy management in LogKitManager

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:13, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>>Peter Donald wrote:

>>>or how about something as simple logKitManager.setHierarchy() ? If not
>>>set it could default to a new hierarchy ?
>>>
>>Sure, it's way simpler ;)
>>
>>And even simpler : two constructors, one with no parameters (new
>>hierarchy) and one with an existing Hierarchy. Patch attached !
>>

> Works for me. Applied.

Thanks.

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.