Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Duo Zhang <zh...@apache.org> on 2020/01/03 08:42:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Cut branch-2.3 and EOL branch-2.1

After "HBASE-23326 Implement a ProcedureStore which stores procedures in a
HRegion" and related issues are resolved, I think the last flaky part of
the proc-v2 framework has been resolved.

Notice that this does not mean there is no bug. The problem for the old
procedure store is that, no one in the community can even touch the code.
So even if we know there are bugs, no one can fix them. As now it is rely
on a region, I'm sure that most people in the community, even not a
committer, can modify the code easily.

So the plan here is to cut branch-2.3, and start to stablize it. And once
2.3.0 is out, I will do a final 2.1.x release and mark branch-2.1 as EOL.

Suggestions are welcomed. Oh, we need a release manager for branch-2.3. Any
volunteers?

Thanks.

Re: [DISCUSS] Cut branch-2.3 and EOL branch-2.1

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 00:42 Duo Zhang <zh...@apache.org> wrote:
> I volunteer to RM 2.3; I don’t mind taking another tour in the role.
> Someone else speak up though if you feel you have a stronger claim.

I'd volunteer to be your RM lieutenant (can help around release scripts and
testing).

Re: [DISCUSS] Cut branch-2.3 and EOL branch-2.1

Posted by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com>.
One of the most important issue for branch-2.3 is HBASE-21879,  which means
reading block offheap
from fs to save GC.   There's one remaining  open issue which need to
upgrade the Hadoop version to
make the offheap reading really work, I will finish that issue in the next
few days.

BTW, I was planing to be the branch-2.3 release manager but seems not
enough time now,
please ping me if anything I can help.  Thanks for your volunteer, Nick.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@apache.org>.